My fish are dying! :(

bjoe23

Ok, so tommarow do a 20% water change, after about an hour test it. Then if everything still isnt 0, do another 10% change? and i have to mix a new batch of salt? why?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by bjoe23
Ok, so tommarow do a 20% water change, after about an hour test it. Then if everything still isnt 0, do another 10% change? and i have to mix a new batch of salt? why?
First, how do you mix your salt water? Don't do two changes in one day. Do a 20% change then after a few hours test your water. Then do another 20% the next day if the readings are not good. Your main concern is the ammonia and nitrite right now. Look for those to both be zero. How do you mix your water though?

bjoe23

Originally Posted by sepulatian
First, how do you mix your salt water? Don't do two changes in one day. Do a 20% change then after a few hours test your water. Then do another 20% the next day if the readings are not good. Your main concern is the ammonia and nitrite right now. Look for those to both be zero. How do you mix your water though?
Ok so 1 20% change tommarow. I mix my water in a big tubaware tub, about 25 gallons are in it. The batch i will use is about 1 month old, is that ok?

sepulatian

Ok so 1 20% change tommarow. I mix my water in a big tubaware tub, about 25 gallons are in it. The batch i will use is about 1 month old, is that ok?
Do you use a powerhead and a heater? Is there a loose cover over it to prevent household debris from getting into the water? Can I guess that you have not done any changes in the tank since you started a couple of months ago? Have you done a change since the cycle? I am so glad that you are asking questions and learning. That is what we are here for.

bjoe23

Do you use a powerhead and a heater? Is there a loose cover over it to prevent household debris from getting into the water? Can I guess that you have not done any changes in the tank since you started a couple of months ago? Have you done a change since the cycle? I am so glad that you are asking questions and learning. That is what we are here for.
Thanks, I have done 3 water changes, 1 before any fish, and 2 with the fish. I am due for a water change any way. I only have a small powerhead in the tub. The cover is on but there is a little opening for the wire for the powerhead. No dust or debris is in there. Thank you for answering all my questions, it is my first salt water tank if you cant tell allready

sepulatian

Thanks, I have done 3 water changes, 1 before any fish, and 2 with the fish. I am due for a water change any way. I only have a small powerhead in the tub. The cover is on but there is a little opening for the wire for the powerhead. No dust or debris is in there. Thank you for answering all my questions, it is my first salt water tank if you cant tell allready

It is best to ask questions. You are moving in the right direction. If the water has been covered then just test it quick for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, temp, and SG. If all are on then use it for the change. There are no shortcuts in this hobby. If the tests are not spot on then let us know. It is always better to be safe than sorry. I have mixed water for a month many times without issues, but if there were any problems with the mix I would have tossed it in a heartbeat.

bjoe23

It is best to ask questions. You are moving in the right direction. If the water has been covered then just test it quick for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, temp, and SG. If all are on then use it for the change. There are no shortcuts in this hobby. If the tests are not spot on then let us know. It is always better to be safe than sorry. I have mixed water for a month many times without issues, but if there were any problems with the mix I would have tossed it in a heartbeat.
Ok, thanks. So i test the batch of SW before i put it in. I havent done that... And u say a quick check, when i tested for all the things I posted on my tank it took about an hour. I only did it a few times so i will get faster as i go i hope. I have tried not to take any shortcuts and i think you asked before i dont not have a QT

sepulatian

Ok, thanks. So i test the batch of SW before i put it in. I havent done that... And u say a quick check, when i tested for all the things I posted on my tank it took about an hour. I only did it a few times so i will get faster as i go i hope. I have tried not to take any shortcuts and i think you asked before i dont not have a QT
You should DEFINATELY set up a small qt. It does not cost much and is very simple to do. I can test my whole system in five minutes, so the check is quick for me. I am sorry. I should have just said to check the water. Check the water and post if anything is off. The ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate should be zero, the SG and temp should be exactly what it is in your display tank.

bjoe23

Oh, its ok im just saying it takes me awhile to do things you are so used to doing is all. What size qt would i use and wat materials would i use to make one?

sepulatian

Oh, its ok im just saying it takes me awhile to do things you are so used to doing is all. What size qt would i use and wat materials would i use to make one?
For a qt, you could pick up a 5 gallon kit. It will come with an HOB (hang on the back) filter. You can get a small heater, powerhead, and thermometer. I would spend the slightly extra money on a ten gallon kit though. Your display is small so you do not need a large qt. Get a few pieces of PVC pipe to add for shelter. Cycle it before adding any live stock into it.

jpc763

I got a 5g hex from wally world for less than $30. I added a small powerhead and a small heater. Total cost was about $40. They have 10g kits for about the same price, but once again you will need to add the heater and powerhead.
Once you set it up, get a few 1" PVC connectors. The Tee, Elbow and such. The fish like to hide in there. Nothing else will be needed.

alex4286

wow
omg thats horrible..
what do u think caused these spikes? overstocked or not enough water changes? How often do u do a water change? I'm sorry for your losses. But i think a bi-colored angel is way to big for that tank size.