My Fish Keeps Going In The Skimmer

kingaxel07

how do i get him to stop?
i have 6 different fish and the same one has got stuck in the skimmer 5 different times WHY DOES KEEP DOING THAT?
i have no clue how it even gets in there!
im new to this i think im going to have to go return him to the sotre for a new one because he seems to be the only one doing it

stanlalee

you cant put some sort of pad/sponge/mesh over the skimmer intake? what kind of skimmer? where/how is it configured that the fish isn't getting chopped up by the pump?

kingaxel07

its a Red Sea Prizm Skimmer Deluxe
in a 20 gallon tank i tried putting a rubber band around the little cracks but he keeps going in. it must be through the top of it. i dont no what i could possibly put up there to stop it.
its the SAME FISH every time!

salt210

maybe he wants to take a bubble bath.

what if you added a couple more rubber bands to the intake and spread them out?

ilovemytank

go to Home Depot and buy a roll of window screening. ( about $3 or $4 ) Wrap it around the skimmer's input. Put one rubber band just below the intake slots to hold the bottom of the screen. Take a second rubber band and wrap it around the top of the center pipe carrying the water out. It will create a mesh cone ( will look like an screen tee-pee ( did I spell that right ?))The fish will never get in there again.

kingaxel07

thanks alot guys! im gunna try to use the more rubber bands idea first and if that dosent work i will do the screen!

socal57che

If you remove the intake screen, you can move the cup up on the rail. It should prutrude above the surface of the water to effectively remove water from the suface where proteins tend to build up. I noticed that the top of your cup is well below the surface. Water should enter it through the slits, not over the top. Replace the intake screen with a plastic practice golf ball. (the mini whiffle ball type) Just make an opening in the ball large enough to fit over the intake tube. With the overflow cup raised in the water, the fish should not be able to enter it.
I have the same skimmer.

socal57che

Yellow arrow points to the screen you should remove.
Orange arrow is where you attach the modified practice golf ball.
Red arrow indicates where water should enter your surface skimmer attachment. If you run it without the overflow type cup, reinstall the original plastic screen. Where your cup is positioned now really isn't utilizing the surface skimming anyway.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by socal57che
http:///forum/post/2758743
Where your cup is positioned now really isn't utilizing the surface skimming anyway.

the mesh on the "surface skimmer" (red arrow) needs to intercede at the surface of the water, it is ineffective submerged. the surface of your water should be at the rubber band

kingaxel07

wow i really appreciate you taking the time to show me that now i wish that i could clearly understand what im soppose to do lol i kinda get the point but i dont see how it would work
do u think u can send me a picture of yours?

socal57che

Originally Posted by KingAxel07
http:///forum/post/2758791
wow i really appreciate you taking the time to show me that now i wish that i could clearly understand what im soppose to do lol i kinda get the point but i dont see how it would work
do u think u can send me a picture of yours?
Yes, give me a minute to take them and load them.
Originally Posted by KingAxel07

http:///forum/post/2758793
what would the golf ball do?
Only keep out large particles if something were to make it into the cup. If a fish were to enter the cup through the top somehow, the ball would keep it from getting stuck on the intake tube.
Off to take some pics.

socal57che

OK. here is my best effort for some visual aid.
The first pic shows the screen you need to remove in order for the cup to reach a higher adjustment. Just turn, then pull down to remove it.
The second is a pic of the intake tube without the screen. I do not use the practice golf ball as I only have 2 fish and neither are capable of fitting in the cup. I have seen the little ball used on PH intakes with fish suction problems. It keeps the fish from getting stuck on the intake screen.
The third pic shows the cup protruding above the surface of the water. If you are not doing daily top offs the water level may drop low enough to allow the skimmer to suck in air. This will be loud enough to wake you up in the middle of the night to remind you that it's time for a top off.
It will take some playing to find the optimum position of the cup and water level in your tank to make the skimmer happy. I'm very happy with mine and appreciate the surface skimmer.