my fisrt coral

zap800

this is my first coral. anyone else have these guys and how do you like them. i think the purple and green looks really cool

crazy4reefs

green star polyps are one of my favorites but beware, under the right condictions they grow very fast and spread to the nearby rocks. i usually let the mat grow out and cut some off and glue it to a rock. i trade the frags for store credit at the lfs. :joy:

zap800

thanks crazy. when you say the right conditions what do you mean. i want to get a real good covering in my tank where i put it.

sergeant

I just got a frag of those today for $10. The right conditions means good quality water, lighting and water flow. I hope this helps.

crazy4reefs

yes that is what i mean by the right conditions. good water quality and fair amount of lighting. they are a low lighting coral but of course more lighting would help them to grow faster. mine seem to like some current on them. hth

fishguy_40

i have a suggestion for you. i dont know if you baste your corals (turkey baster), but you should with this one definitely. i had one, they collect nutrients and junk in there plastic like base. when closed you can really see where it collects. problem arises after a while of this going unchecked you will start to grow algae and the coral is not nearly as attractive. something to think about.

alison

:happyfish Nice starpolyps. I love em too. I turkey baste too. Mine love zooplankton, and brine as well for a treat. They are a great first coral. Good luck, ali

N

nyyanks514

Good choice for a first coral. I bought a 2"x2" piece 4 months ago and its growing like a weed. I once heard Green stars like Strontium and Molybdenum, anyone else know about this? Mine grow like a weed whether I suppliment them or not...

liquidskys

Green star Polys ROCK..
:yes:
they are one of my fav's as well.. Although im a pretty big Xeina lover as well...
When you guys baste your GSP's how much and how often?
you do it when they are open during the day correct?
I tried to baste mine and they closed up as soon as I gently squeezed the baster..
but mine are growing pretty good I put Zooplankton in my water every couple days also..

alison

:happyfish I usually just take some zooplankton and put it on the rock or I put it in a baster and increadibly gently let some float out of the baster onto the polyps. That way they don't close up. And ya, I feed during the day for those guys as they tend to close at night. -ali

*bta*

Originally posted by fishguy_40
i have a suggestion for you. i dont know if you baste your corals (turkey baster), but you should with this one definitely. i had one, they collect nutrients and junk in there plastic like base. when closed you can really see where it collects. problem arises after a while of this going unchecked you will start to grow algae and the coral is not nearly as attractive. something to think about.

the only reason they would collect stuff and grow algae is if they are not in a high enough flow area

fishguy_40

well, it's a valid suggestion. i had this coral for over a year and utimately ended up scrapping it. after getting more advanced and expensive corals, the early ones tend to get the less than prime spots. basting in this application will help them to stay the course.