My Future 46 Gallon Stocklist

woody189

Hi.
I'm cycling a 46 gal tank w/ a 10 gal sump and a skimmer, 65 lbs LR and 20 lbs LS (Not all LIVE, but eventually it will be). I plan on going reef later on, mostly hardy corals.
I know to wait in between and all that good stuff so no worries about me rushing.
Here's my wishlist in the order I plan on adding:
2 firefish- debating if I want to risk 1 purple & 1 red FF. I've read plenty of success stories, but also a few horror stories
2 Clown:1 O&W occelaris 1 Black and white occelaris
Royal Grama or Purple stripe pseudochromi or purple psuedochromi etc.
Longnose Hawk- I plan on having a cleaner shrimp and possibly Fire Shrimp BEFORE I add the fish. I understand it's risky, but from what I've read, if my shrimps are large and I get a small Hawk, my chances of success increase dramatically
Flame Angel- I will pray he won't nip at corals and try to talk w/ LFS and get them agree to take him back if he does
I know the load is borderline heavy, but I really don't think it's too much and I do think it is manageable.
Any opinions?
Thanks.

mr. limpid

I know the colors matter when it comes to fire fish, but i forgot if it ok for two different.
The clowns will become aggressive when the are nesting and will defend there nest, may want to consider only one clown.
Gramies are hit or miss, some people have luck with them others don't, hope you are the in the lucky group.
You are correct flames are hit or miss with corals.
You should also consider adding macro algae to your sump, this will help with unwanted algae and nitrates.
Good luck

woody189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/392113/my-future-46-gallon-stocklist#post_3480134
I know the colors matter when it comes to fire fish, but i forgot if it ok for two different.
The clowns will become aggressive when the are nesting and will defend there nest, may want to consider only one clown.
Gramies are hit or miss, some people have luck with them others don't, hope you are the in the lucky group.
You are correct flames are hit or miss with corals.
You should also consider adding macro algae to your sump, this will help with unwanted algae and nitrates.
Good luck
The firefish I know is a touchy subject. You aren't "supposed to" mix them, but many have had success if done at the same time. Others weren't so lucky.
You saying clowns become aggressive in general? I've heard they get a little fiesty, but they seem to be the most common fish, successfully kept in even small aquariums (even, if not, especilly in pairs)
I loved my old Royal Gramma. He was great. A little aggressive, but didn't cause any problems. I'm adding him towards the end because of that reason. I doubt he'd start w/ a hawk/ angel.
I have some macros in there now. I have Chaeto and Caulerpa (Prolifera and racemora). I just did some research on them and decided I will keep them and keep an eye on them to be sure they don't go sexual
Thanks for the info. Others, feel free to chime in.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody189 http:///t/392113/my-future-46-gallon-stocklist#post_3480112
Hi.
I'm cycling a 46 gal tank w/ a 10 gal sump and a skimmer, 65 lbs LR and 20 lbs LS (Not all LIVE, but eventually it will be). I plan on going reef later on, mostly hardy corals.
I know to wait in between and all that good stuff so no worries about me rushing.
Here's my wishlist in the order I plan on adding:
2 firefish- debating if I want to risk 1 purple & 1 red FF. I've read plenty of success stories, but also a few horror stories It's hit or miss. If you really want do two, even of the same color, add them together. I would also make them the first two fish you add.
2 Clown:1 O&W occelaris 1 Black and white occelaris Absolutely make sure both are Ocellaris and that one is not a Percula.
Royal Grama or Purple stripe pseudochromi or purple psuedochromi etc. I do not recommend a psuedochromi with the firefish
Longnose Hawk- I plan on having a cleaner shrimp and possibly Fire Shrimp BEFORE I add the fish. I understand it's risky, but from what I've read, if my shrimps are large and I get a small Hawk, my chances of success increase dramatically Most longnose's behave themselves. You are correct in getting a small fish and larger shrimp to increase your chances of success

Flame Angel- I will pray he won't nip at corals and try to talk w/ LFS and get them agree to take him back if he does QT it with some corals and watch it. Flames are usually safe, especially if they're well fed and there is plenty of live rock for them to graze on. Give your tank a good 6+ months before considering this fish so that your live rock has a chance to mature. If you can hold out for 12 months, you'll increase the chances that it will NOT eat your corals.

I know the load is borderline heavy, but I really don't think it's too much and I do think it is manageable.
Any opinions? I don't think it's a heavy bioload. I had more fish than that in my 40 breeder. Proper maintenance and you should be fine. You are, however, setting up this tank with some semi-aggressive fish. The more aggressive fish you have, the more likely you are to see aggression actually happen, keep that in mind.

Thanks.

woody189

BTLD- Thanks again (you helped w/ my previous thread)
I plan on adding the firefish as my 1st 2 fish. Clowns will definitely both be Ocellaris.
Are you saying no Pseudo's because they are kind of aggressive and FF are passive, or because they there would be an issue with them being together (like Pseduos and a royal gramma). Would I be okay getting a Royal Gramma?
Good idea about the QT for the Flame. Also, I wouldn't get it until much later, I'd say 6 months minimum anyway.
Good to hear you don't think I'd be maxed out.
Any other fish suggestions?

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody189 http:///t/392113/my-future-46-gallon-stocklist#post_3480198
BTLD- Thanks again (you helped w/ my previous thread)
I plan on adding the firefish as my 1st 2 fish. Clowns will definitely both be Ocellaris.
Are you saying no Pseudo's because they are kind of aggressive and FF are passive, or because they there would be an issue with them being together (like Pseduos and a royal gramma). Would I be okay getting a Royal Gramma?
Good idea about the QT for the Flame. Also, I wouldn't get it until much later, I'd say 6 months minimum anyway.
Good to hear you don't think I'd be maxed out.
Any other fish suggestions?
I think the Pseudo's would be aggressive towards the firefish and would stress them out. The Royal Gramma would be a better option as far as aggression, but they can be harder to keep. The only exception to the "pseudo's are aggressive" rule are the ORA Fridmani Orchid Dottybacks. They're far less aggressive.
Other fish to consider:
Yellow Assessor - these guys can come with a price tag depending on whether they're wild caught or captive bred. But, they are one of my favorite little reef fish. They will swim upside down, and I just think it's the coolest thing. They also add a nice pop of color.
A small blenny like a tail spot or bi color would be a nice addition as well. I LOVE blennies, lol
Maybe some sort of flasher or fairy wrasse?
Greenbanded gobies (you can keep these in small groups of 2 or more without aggression) They have great personalities as well

woody189

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///t/392113/my-future-46-gallon-stocklist#post_3480199
I think the Pseudo's would be aggressive towards the firefish and would stress them out. The Royal Gramma would be a better option as far as aggression, but they can be harder to keep. The only exception to the "pseudo's are aggressive" rule are the ORA Fridmani Orchid Dottybacks. They're far less aggressive.
Other fish to consider:
Yellow Assessor - these guys can come with a price tag depending on whether they're wild caught or captive bred. But, they are one of my favorite little reef fish. They will swim upside down, and I just think it's the coolest thing. They also add a nice pop of color.
A small blenny like a tail spot or bi color would be a nice addition as well. I LOVE blennies, lol
Maybe some sort of flasher or fairy wrasse?
Greenbanded gobies (you can keep these in small groups of 2 or more without aggression) They have great personalities as well
OMG. How could I forget my favorite fish? I'm definitely getting a Midas Blennyy. He was my absolute favorite. His color was amazing, I love the blue eyes, and so much personality. Swims through the rocks all day, and I love the way their bodies move. It was after I lost him that I decided to tear my old tank apart (laundry soap managed to get into my RO water and killed him)
I'll stick with a RG to be safe. You say they are hard. that's interesting. I've always heard them being mentioned as beginner fish. Either way, I had one and he was real cool too.
The yellow assessor is real nice, I actually also like the Blue one a lot too. However, the price is a little to much for me, and I'm assuming they probably can't be kept with RG's.
Fairy/flasher both good suggestions.
Greenbanded I'm assuming are like other watchmen gobies. I had a pink and blue one, and I liked him, but sort of regretted it. He was a little boring for my taste. I've never seen them locally either, and I won't be purchasing online because of shipping.

btldreef

I love Midas blennies too.
Word of caution: Midas blennies and firefish usually do not fair well together. Midas blennies are not to harass and bite them

woody189

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///t/392113/my-future-46-gallon-stocklist#post_3480210
I love Midas blennies too.
Word of caution: Midas blennies and firefish usually do not fair well together. Midas blennies are not to harass and bite them
well then... I really need to think about my stocklist. I'm about ready for my 1st addition(s).
I had a Midas with a purple FF with no problems in the past, but of course that doesn't prove anything. A Midas is an absolute must in my tank

btldreef

Its hit or miss. Some people have no issues, others do.
I think if you're wanting the Midas and the firefish, I'd do two of the same color firefish. Add them first and really let them get established before adding the Midas. Try to get a small/young Midas as well.

woody189

I decided to not take a chance and I purchased a lone purple FF. I will not be getting a regular FF.
I also failed to mention I would like a 6-line.
Here's my updated stock list in the order I plan on going with:
Purple FF (in tank)
2 clowns: 1 O&W 1 B&W Ocellaris
Midas Blenny
Royal Grama
6-Line
Longnose Hawk
Flame Angel

J

jeffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody189 http:///t/392113/my-future-46-gallon-stocklist#post_3480662
<SNIP>
2 clowns: 1 O&W 1 B&W Ocellaris
<SNIP>
I was not aware the Ocellaris came in B&W (Black & White?). If so; are they peaceful and small like the orange & white? AND If so; where can I get one? Suppliers are very limited out here in the booneys where I live. :)

woody189

Yea black and white. They are usually about double the price though depending on size and they are pretty common around me in Jersey. From my understanding they are exactly the same, only the colors are different. I don't think it's any different to have 2 O&W's or 1 of each.
Actually, most of them are pretty black but have some orange seeping through. As they grow, the Orange fades more and more and the black becomes deeper. It's usually the older/larger ones that are all B&W with no orange. Those are my favorites.

slice

I have a 47g, with a 4.7g refugium, so our volume is pretty much the same.
My stocklist is:
Flame Angel - yeah, he nips a bit, but does not cause nearly as much coral damage as his owner does
Royal Gramma - self proclaimed "Queen Diva", can be aggressive but kept in check by the Flame
Sixline Wrasse - can be aggressive, but kept in check by the Gramma, third in the "pecking order" and hating it.
Lawnmower Blennie - gotta have a blennie. Nobody bothers him, he doesn't bother anyone else. When first introduced he did have a few harsh words with the Sixline though.
Red Firefish - did have 2 (Bonnie and Clyde). Bonnie succumbed to what I think was an internal parasite, she just withered away. Now alone, Clyde gets run into the rock by the Sixline, rarely allowed up in the water column. When there was a pair, they were left alone.
My meager experience says your intended bioload would be called "very heavy". If your skimmer is top notch and your refugium is well stocked with macros, you will be fine with a well thought out CUC. My refugium does a wonderful job but my skimmer is "meh". My stocklist is about all I can handle.
NEED PICS!!

btldreef

I was not aware the Ocellaris came in B&W (Black & White?).  If so; are they peaceful and small like the orange & white?  AND If so; where can I get one?  Suppliers are very limited out here in the booneys where I live.  :)
They're the same fish. The color is a genetic mutation that has purposely been bred into them because people think it's "cool." There are actually quite a few color and pattern morphs being bred into clowns now.
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/search.asp?keyword=Clownfish&search.x=32&search.y=15&search=GO
^Saltwaterfish.com sells them and you can see some other morphs as well.

woody189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice http:///t/392113/my-future-46-gallon-stocklist#post_3480797
I have a 47g, with a 4.7g refugium, so our volume is pretty much the same.
My stocklist is:
Flame Angel - yeah, he nips a bit, but does not cause nearly as much coral damage as his owner does
Royal Gramma - self proclaimed "Queen Diva", can be aggressive but kept in check by the Flame
Sixline Wrasse - can be aggressive, but kept in check by the Gramma, third in the "pecking order" and hating it.
Lawnmower Blennie - gotta have a blennie. Nobody bothers him, he doesn't bother anyone else. When first introduced he did have a few harsh words with the Sixline though.
Red Firefish - did have 2 (Bonnie and Clyde). Bonnie succumbed to what I think was an internal parasite, she just withered away. Now alone, Clyde gets run into the rock by the Sixline, rarely allowed up in the water column. When there was a pair, they were left alone.
My meager experience says your intended bioload would be called "very heavy". If your skimmer is top notch and your refugium is well stocked with macros, you will be fine with a well thought out CUC. My refugium does a wonderful job but my skimmer is "meh". My stocklist is about all I can handle.
NEED PICS!!
Thanks for the details. I love your tank, nice job. You know, everyone seems to have their own opinions on what's fully stocked. Of course that's because every system is different, but I'm not sure how many fish I'm gonna end up. Now that I think of it, maybe I won't get all the ones I named because I will need decent water quality for my corals.
My skimmer works like a champ, and refuge is a tiny space in my sump. I'll just see how my tnak is doing and play it by ear. I'm worried about my FF getting picked on too. That's why I added him first, but they are all such punks
Pics here Slice. Nothing too fancy.... https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/392054/my-little-baby-46-bowfront-build#post_3480721
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///t/392113/my-future-46-gallon-stocklist#post_3480805
They're the same fish. The color is a genetic mutation that has purposely been bred into them because people think it's "cool." There are actually quite a few color and pattern morphs being bred into clowns now.
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/search.asp?keyword=Clownfish&search.x=32&search.y=15&search=GO
^Saltwaterfish.com sells them and you can see some other morphs as well.
I forgot about the n.aked clowns. Those are cool too. The snowflakes are so cheap now. I thought I remembered them being $1000 at the LFS when they were first bred.

woody189

So far I've gotten the purple FF, a followed by a 6-line, and then 2 clowns. B&W and O&W ocelllaris.
My cleaner was killed and I fear it may have been the 6-line. I also didn't realize all the stories of aggression from 6-lines. I think I will be removing him.
My new possible stocklist (assuming I remove 6-line) is:
Already in tank:
Purple FF
2 clowns
Future
:
Royal Gramma
Maybe a watchman goby
Midas blenny
Flame Angel
I'm always open to other suggestions. Particularly to replace the watchman from my list.
Also, would i be able to add the watchman last? or would that be too dangerous with some of the more aggressive tankmates?