my girlfriends rock? e---

stdreb27

So I'm wanting to buy an engagement ring for my girlfriend. I've found some that I really like, the thing is that they will end up being a bit more than I'm able to spend. So I was thinking bout the great auction site. Is anyone here a jewler that knows what to look for in rings? I'm just looking for more information so I can make a good buying decision.

shogun323

I would read up on the 4 C's: Clarity, Color, Cut and Carat weight.
I personally wouldnt buy a ring without being to inspect it personally. I am by no means a jeweler, but if I am forking out a decent amount of cash for a rock, I want to be impressed.
I havent bought a ring from the auction site, but I know how great a frag of crap zoanthids can look with the right light.
Good Luck!
~wade

stdreb27

Originally Posted by shogun323
I would read up on the 4 C's: Clarity, Color, Cut and Carat weight.
I personally wouldnt buy a ring without being to inspect it personally. I am by no means a jeweler, but if I am forking out a decent amount of cash for a rock, I want to be impressed.
I havent bought a ring from the auction site, but I know how great a frag of crap zoanthids can look with the right light.
well, I've found a designer that I really like. oddly enough. I usually don't do that. But that is the way I feel too, I want to see it. But unfortunately they are about twice as much as I was planning to pay. the bay is the right price range, but I'm not sure I'm brave enough to spend a few grand on the bay.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by seasalt101
try the diamond exchange...tobin
they don't have the dude i like. unfortunately.

shogun323

What I ended up doing is having it made. My fiance found a ring she loved at Helbergs at the mall for $9000.
There was no way I was going to buy it . It had an ok quality stone between 1/2 and 3/4 carat.
So I ended up buying a flawless 1.13 round stone for $4000 and took the picture of the the ring she wanted to a jeweler and he recreated it perfectly for $2000.
So I ended up getting a bigger and better identical ring for $3000 cheaper.

stdreb27

What I ended up doing is having it made. My fiance found a ring she loved at Helbergs at the mall for $9000.
There was no way I was going to buy it . It had an ok quality stone between 1/2 and 3/4 carat.
So I ended up buying a flawless 1.13 round stone for $4000 and took the picture of the the ring she wanted to a jeweler and he recreated it perfectly for $2000.
Interesting.

crimzy

While this is by no means a professional opinion... the 4 C's do not matter... the only thing that matters is the 1 S (Size). I spent months researching cut, clarity, color, etc. and got my wife a really nice size, HIGH QUALITY, rock that she loved. But you should see how much her eyes light up when she sees someone's large, piece of crap, stone. I spent so much money and energy making sure that it was colorless, had great brilliance and looked good under the loop. In hindsight, I should have gotten the 3 karat, pale yellowish-white, pear shaped diamond. JMO.

nigerbang

Originally Posted by crimzy
While this is by no means a professional opinion... the 4 C's do not matter... the only thing that matters is the 1 S (Size). I spent months researching cut, clarity, color, etc. and got my wife a really nice size, HIGH QUALITY, rock that she loved. But you should see how much her eyes light up when she sees someone's large, piece of crap, stone. I spent so much money and energy making sure that it was colorless, had great brilliance and looked good under the loop. In hindsight, I should have gotten the 3 karat, pale yellowish-white, pear shaped diamond. JMO.

I dont know if I would have done that myself...I would rather go for quality then quanity...
Example...My wifes ER is a E, Princess, VVS1, 1.23

crimzy

Originally Posted by NigerBang
I dont know if I would have done that myself...I would rather go for quality then quanity...
Example...My wifes ER is a E, Princess, VVS1, 1.23
I gotcha... mine's 1.31 karats, D color, round cut, VS2.

cowfishrule

did you tell her you spent 9k and blow the rest on a "guy's nite out"?
i would have...

renogaw

never buy diamonds online. any appraisal you can get can be fake, and you could get a bad diamond that you paid big bucks for a good one.
it's even in their FAQ that you shouldn't sell high ticket jewelry because there's tons of scammers out there.

prk543

I guess now is the time, I just bought a ring for my girlfriend. I just got this ring for $800 at helzberg. 1/2c total weight, white gold, near colorless stones, and it didn't murder my wallet, only slightly maimed it.
I guess I got lucky because she has small fingers, and we decided anything much bigger didn't look as nice on her hand.
Now I have money left over for tank upgrades

have you two gone looking at rings, so that you know what she likes? Also if she is looking for princess cut diamonds, try to get round stones into a 4 prong setting. The diamonds will sparkle a lot more as a round cut than a princess, and the 4 prongs make the round cut stones have a squared off look as well.
I also agree with renogaw, I would be wary of buying diamonds on line too.
-prk543

happyvac

Uh, just out of curiosity, why does a girl want a diamond ring? Spend $9,000 on something that fuels wars and brutality for what?

stdreb27

Originally Posted by HappyVac
Uh, just out of curiosity, why does a girl want a diamond ring? Spend $9,000 on something that fuels wars and brutality for what?
haha, that is a good question. I dunno, I'm not spending that much, there are huge fishtanks to buy and stuff.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by Prk543
I guess now is the time, I just bought a ring for my girlfriend. I just got this ring for $800 at helzberg. 1/2c total weight, white gold, near colorless stones, and it didn't murder my wallet, only slightly maimed it.
I guess I got lucky because she has small fingers, and we decided anything much bigger didn't look as nice on her hand.
Now I have money left over for tank upgrades

have you two gone looking at rings, so that you know what she likes? Also if she is looking for princess cut diamonds, try to get round stones into a 4 prong setting. The diamonds will sparkle a lot more as a round cut than a princess, and the 4 prongs make the round cut stones have a squared off look as well.
I also agree with renogaw, I would be wary of buying diamonds on line too.
-prk543
Is that the one you got? It is pretty cool.
It would seem pretty dumb to buy online. It really doesn't seem safe.

tangman99

You can absolutely buy a diamond online. Just make sure it is from a reputable site. You will save thousands over buying at a local mall or jeweler. Now I would not buy from the E-auction site. I bought my wifes GIA certified diamond from an online broker and had it indendently appraised. No problems whatsoever. Used what I saved to pay for a seven day Alaska cruise for the honeymoon.

babyb

holy crap $9000 is a heck of a lot to spend on the engagment ring, thats crazy, like i have said before here i would be happy with a ring out the 50 cent machine, just so i have something to show i am engaged
my boyfriend and i are lookin at engagment rings and the good places that i have found are kays, gordens, zales, and as cheap as it sounds overstock.com
there really is no resone to buy a realy expensive engagment ring, spend the money on the wedding ring
hope that helps and good luck poping the question lol, i cant wait till my guy gets on one knee