My Hammer

rane

Ok I am about to give up on this coral, whenI purchased this coral it looked great at the LFS I took it home acclimated it and it opend up fine in 2 days then onthe third day it closed and hasnt opend since, that was over 2 months ago, I have tried to move it to different locations on the tank and nothing, what the hell could it be? all my other corals open up great! except for this hammer

leboeuf

I had the exact same problem. I purchased a 2 branch piece and am down to one. It was all but gone and in a last attempt to save it I started feeding it direct with DT's. I used a concentrated solution fed by turkey baster every night. I'll post some pics tonight.

rane

I have 3 250w MH 2 10ks at each end and one 20k in the middle along with 3 55w pc atinics, my water chemistry is fine amonia 0ppm, nitrates ,nitrites both at zero and ph is at 8.4, salinity is at 1024, along with the hammer I have a torch coral which has gotten hugh since I brought him at the same time as the hammer, and I have green star polyps, and button polyps and all are doing fine but the hammer

poiboy

Same problem here also. Had four heads, water was fine, other corals doing great. Hammer:confused: My hammer didnt make it. Whent out and bought a green with 10~12 heads and is doing great, go figure.

justinx

Where is it in the tank? up high . . . down low? What about current? I know that they dont really appreciate a whole lot of movement, which caused my very similar frogspawn to do the same thing. Also, if you have it placed high in the tank, maybe move it down towards the bottom, then gradually move it upwards if you wanted to. But i think that you have plenty of light that it would do very well on the bottom of the tank. I have a frogspawn under VHO that has divided and sprouted 2 new heads, and its only half way up the tank.

rane

Ok I just moved it to the bottom of the tank I actually stuckit in the sand so the stalks look like a tree, you guys think that this will help? how much time should I give it befor it is supposed to open up? in its new location

justinx

I would say about a week, maybe more. Plus, I have never really seen a hammer open up as much as mt frogspawn has. But on a positive note, my frogspawn is by far the hardiest coral in my tank. It has dealt with far more abuse (albeit unintentional) than one could imagine. Give it some TLC, and some time. Plus, I dont think that I would dircetly feed it. Just add to the water column.

wrassecal

I agree with Justin. It looks healthy. You have a lot of light. Moving it down and into a lower light area should help it. I have my hammer pointing straight up and it's doing great. I just think yours doesn't like that strong of light right now. My opinion.