My House Flooded!!!

D

deepsixer

well it didnt get really high about 1.5 inches though the whole house.I have carpet in my bedroom where my 55gal is (Crappy partical board stand :mad: ). Ive been trying to get the water out all day with a wet-vac. Im Hoping I dont have to rip the carpet up, cuz it will suck having to take down the tank. At least I got it good compared to everyone else in the area. Bad thing is the area is expecting 5-10 more inches in the next 12 or so hours. We only got 8 inches this morning, which is where the first round of floods came from. now we are just waiting for the next round
But on a good note I have a clean up crew arriving tomorrow if only I come home to my tank still standing.
do yall think with the stand getting really wet, that it will still hold all that weight?

D

deepsixer

Originally Posted by deepsixer
do yall think with the stand getting really wet, that it will still hold all that weight?

so what do yall think?

moby

Did you say the stand is made of particle board?
If it got soaked it could effect the structural integrity.
If the wood starts to swell and puff up from the water I would not trust it.

Moby

D

deepsixer

Originally Posted by moby
Did you say the stand is made of particle board?
If it got soaked it could effect the structural integrity.
If the wood starts to swell and puff up from the water I would not trust it.

Moby

aww man this sucks yeah its particle board, that pressed wood crap half inch thick.

moby

Sorry your tank fell over, yeah it blows that the stand got wet. Particle board is not a good choice for an aquarium stand bacause of the chance of water soaking into the material.
Remember a 55 gallon is about 450 lbs of water!
Moby

D

deepsixer

Originally Posted by moby
Sorry your tank fell over, yeah it blows that the stand got wet. Particle board is not a good choice for an aquarium stand bacause of the chance of water soaking into the material.
Remember a 55 gallon is about 450 lbs of water!
Moby

no the tank is still standing. Im hoping that i can get the stand dried out in time.

moby

Oh, DUH!
Your house was flooded from rain!

I'm really tired tonight!

Sorry to hear about it, hope everything turns out okay.
Moby

emperor11

WOW..this sucks. Its amazing..you see these super expensive stands at fish stores, and you purchase them, and 8/10 of them are made of crappy particle board! This is why I built my own stand. Its made completely out of 2x4's and 2x6's. And plywood, for the door. But, you can't tell its plywood, until you open the door. The 2x6's were unneccesary, but ANYWAY, to the point...I spent no more than 20-30 dollars on a real nice stand that I built myself. Saved a lot of money, and I got a much higher quality stand, than what the stores have to offer.

chipmaker

Unfortunately once particle board suck in water or moisture its all over, and it never again regains whatever strength it had beforehand. What really gets me is the price y pay for those particle board stands which is nothing fancey just basically a box made out of particle board. yet yu can buy a pretty decent particle board computer desk etc for the same price with a lot more area and details, even beveled glass doors etc for the same price.....
I just recently bought a few wall cabinets in bug box store to use as aquarium stands, and they work fine. They are available in various widths and depths, as well as heights. Some need to have a top installed others do not. Base cabinets will work as well. The store I bought ours in was a sur0lus and salvage building materials store, and I picked up 12" deep and 18" deep cabinets made out of 7 ply plywood and faced in oak with oak raised panel doors for $79 or so for the larger ones. They work perfect of a tank stand. All that was wrong wa they were tagged at bieng the wrong dimensions, so evidently the factory goofed when they made them for a custom install.