My lfs and Salt Mix?

jcsurfn

Well here are a few interesting and funny things my lfs has said about salt mix and mixing salt water.
I have gone in there a few times to ask about the water they mix. I asked if they had a RO/DI unit. The first guy started to ask me what that was he knew it was an RO unit but what is the RO/DI unit. Then onther one had no idea. Then the owners wife had no ide. They all said to ask the owner. He was not there. I just think it is funny how they do not know what they have or use. :D
Then I asked what salt mix they use. They use Deep Ocean which is pretty cheap. So this just really confirmed that I will be mixing my own salt water. Which I wanted to in the first place but thought I would know what they had just incase I needed some and did not have the time to mix.
I then thought I would see what they thought about the difference between the Deep Ocean and Instant Ocean salt mix. The one guy said that the only difference between the 2 is that the Depp Ocean has a rep. here and the push it here so tat is why it is cheaper. Then I aske the owners wife. Who said that Instant Ocean is made for mixing with tape water. The Deep ocean is made to be mixed with RO water or RO/DI water. I thought that was kind of funny. :D
I just thought I would share the little fun I had with my lfs. I am mixing my own water right now. I did go with the Deep Ocean instead of the Instant Ocean just to see how it works.
Any comenmts or suggestions are welcome on this. Please let me know what you think about what they said and about the salt mix.
Thank You

tgolbus

I find it very fustrating at the places I go. When I ask a question the ALWAYS have the answer. Then on this board I find 10 people that disagree, and books that contradict what the "pros" said.
I wish mine would say "I don't know." instead of just making something up. Their solutions also usually involve buying something more for a lot of money.
Does anyone know a good LFS in the Milwaukee Wi area?

jcsurfn

Well yes it is pretty funny. They hae all these people working there but any question and it is like well ask the owner. Then the owner is one of these know it all people who like to make you fell like whatever you ask is stupid. I really think he knows his stuff to but you just never want to ask him because he acts like a jerk. :D That is why I am so glad I found this board. :D
I like to go in there and just look and listen to what they are telling other people and what they are trying to sell them.

jcsurfn

Anyone have any experience with Deep Ocean salt mix?
I know a lot of people use Instant Ocean. For the ones who dont what do you use.
Thank You

S

simm

haha I guess they are a little "off in the deep end of the ocean huh?":D

toddpolish

haven't started...but curious to see what kind of salt mix is preferred on the board.
The more I read about bad LFS', the more inclined I am to just read books and these forums for opinions/comments.

tangman99

I apologize to those who are clueless by this remark, but for those of you who aren't, I'm sure you will agree.
As far as your LFS, In the words of Bill Engval, "Here's your sign".

S

simm

Originally posted by TangMan99
As far as your LFS, In the words of Bill Engval, "Here's your sign".

LOLOL Man I love that guy. Iv got his dork fish CD and its great!!