my library just installed a 3600g sw tank take a look

murph145

ive been workin at the library by my house since i do flooring we redid all the carpet there in the old part of the library abd the new childrens addition and they decided to add a 3600g saltwater aquarium....
this thing is huge its like 15 feet by 5 feet wide by 8 feet tall can u imagine that in a house that would be awesome
they made a whole fake reef background and its actually really nice looking with all types of realistic looking fake corals
they have a huge puffer a clown trigger 5 big look down fish some various tangs and such...
anyways they spend over $110,000 on this thing.... the plumming is all under ground to a remote facility outside where all the equipment is and they have something like 1000lbs of LR for the filter and a custom 7' tall skimmer with ozone a chiller and some huge fresh and waste water drums pretty cool... damn kids are lucky lol its a nice aquarium for sure....
this pic was off my cell phone so its not a good pic but u can get an idea of it.... and they have a wall next to it describing the tank and all the fish and then the whole addition is underwater themed

murph145

sorry its so bad but its got an outside window into the tank and they run metal halides 20K to give it a nice look
its really nice in person

brainrush

Where does a library get $110,000 dollars for a saltwater tank? That's right from the tax payers.
See if they will let you take a fish or two home, Murph, after all you paid for it!
I agree it is really cool, but wouldn't the library patrons be better served with more books, or computers, or more children's programs, or an outreach program for home bound people who like to read--the list could go on and on.
For a private company this is fine, but it seems like a big waste of tax dollars to me.
So I propose they bring it to my house and I will happily take it off their hands

alyssia

Originally Posted by BrainRush
So I propose they bring it to my house and I will happily take it off their hands

You'll have to fight me for it!!!

murph145

yah i know guys i also wondered how they paid for this .... im hoping its private donations... im guna take my regualr digital camera there next time and snap some shots....
its a pretty cool set-up considering its fish only but the fake reef really looks nice...

pyro

I'd be like, I'm gonna check out that nice clump of acans over there - whens the due date... I just need some time for one or two to grow back...
or the other one... where'd that 11" voliton go??? ....uhh, cat got it???

pacino

where is this library?? i live in orange county, and the huntington beach library has a really beautiful circular tank..

scotts

I know how they paid for it, well at least for half of it. It is with the fines that I paid last year. I really have to return the books on time.
I was planning to go tomorrow when they have the grand reopening of the library. Pacino, that should give you a hint as to where the library is.

fishwanabe

just a thought, but there could be an future marine biologist that will spend many days staring at that tank....priceless. :happyfish