My lion fish is being eaten alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Help

805puffer

Hi there, i posted a thread a couple of weeks ago and i got some help, but it just happened again. this is what's happening: His tail or back fin is being eaten by these little bugs in the tank. For what i have seen these bugs are like decomposers, they eat the food on the gravel. My lion lays on the ground, so i think that the bugs are decomposing him. His tail is half way gone and you can see the flesh( it grosses me out and makes me want to throw up). What type of treatment sholud i do. I put him in a QT tank for about 3 weeks and then put him back in the main tank. Now in the QT tank you i can see the bugs in there. Please someone help. tommorrow i'm going to go to the fish store and see if they can figure what's going on. Thank you

ophiura

This is exceedingly unlikely. Those little bugs are probably copepods, and they are normal an natural in marine tanks.
Can you please post your specific water quality, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, alkalinity, specific gravity? Other fish in the tank?
Without these, it is difficult to try and figure out what is wrong.

ophiura

What are the water parameters in your QT tank? IMO, your nitrate levels are getting rather high and while it is not fatal, it can have impacts on fish health. How often do you do water changes? What and how often do you feed?

jer4916

dude, take the fish out of the tank if those bugs are eatting him, fresh dip and put him in qt.....and leave the tank empty for a month, other then that crank the heat up in that tank and kill those suckers.
~chris