My local fish stores sales pitch!

autojunkie

Im recently putting my old 10gallon back into action. I bought a new filter heater and ordered some LS. I also have some extra LR thats been in my 90 galloon for well over 3 years. However, i asked my local fish store to recommend some lighting for me (I only want to keep some softies and a goby or so.) They recommended a 80 dollar LED in 10k, and an additional blue atinic that was a bit shorter for 60, and said I should definitly get both. . . Im just looking for a reasonably priced light and most online sights only have lights that are to big. Any help is welcome.

Sounds like overkill. If you want to keep softies I understand you may only need PC lighting? Can someone else verify or dispute this for me?

nissan577

Who is calling nissan?!?!?!?! you guys!!!!
dont worry here i am NISSAN is here to help!

ok to help you answer this question! IDK
kidding
well really the best thing to do since you want only softies would be to go with PC like contra said. but trust me when i say trust me you would wanna add some more lovely corals!!!! so if im not mistaken the 10g tank is 20"???? if so i would buy the Current Nova Extreme Pro Saltwater T-5 Fixtures. they will let you add sps, lps, and anything you want! so for sure that will be a better buy. but if you really only want softies then buy the Coralife Lunar Aqualights Compact Fluorescent Strip Lights or any Power compact light but with enough wattage.
hope that help!
hasta la vista baby!

jemshores

You crack me up Nissan!!! Do you have a license to fly??
Since we are talking about upgrading, how about for a 24 nano? I have no idea...LED, T5, HQI, etc. Light language is way beyond my comprehension. Keeping sslofties with the stock but would really like more light. Any suggestions? Sorry for hijacking this thread...the Joker made me do it!

chrisnif

if you google aqua and traders the place by that name has dirt cheap lights, albeit the bulbs may need replacing after a month or two, but still for $69 they have a 4 bulb 18" fixture which has legs to go on your 20" wide tank ;) Comes with 2x 12k bulbs and 2x 460 actinic, blue leds for moon and 3 plugs for best use of timers ;) I've been thinking about buying one myself and taking it apart to retrofit into my canopy with my MH :)

stevedave08

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/3198343
Who is calling nissan?!?!?!?! you guys!!!!
dont worry here i am NISSAN is here to help!

ok to help you answer this question! IDK
kidding
well really the best thing to do since you want only softies would be to go with PC like contra said. but trust me when i say trust me you would wanna add some more lovely corals!!!! so if im not mistaken the 10g tank is 20"???? if so i would buy the Current Nova Extreme Pro Saltwater T-5 Fixtures. they will let you add sps, lps, and anything you want! so for sure that will be a better buy. but if you really only want softies then buy the Coralife Lunar Aqualights Compact Fluorescent Strip Lights or any Power compact light but with enough wattage.
hope that help!
hasta la vista baby!

That's the same thing I was going to suggest. I had those same lights on my tank and they are great. I just upgraded to one larger unit recently.

spanko

Go to nano tuners and look at the Par38 LED's. One bulb would do over your tank. Incredible PAR would allow keeping of most anything. Lifetime on the lights 10,000 hours plus. Low electricity usage. Fits into standard lightbulb socket so you can get a fancy desklight and just screw it in if you want. You can purchase different optics for different coverage over the tank, which allows you to raise or lower the light according to your needs - aesthetics. There are many users on another site I belong to that are using them with SPS coral, clams etc.
Here is a picture of one.

Hey Spanko,
Do you have a picture of the whole set up or is it just being hung from the ceiling? I'm interested in replacing my metal halides with something else and this might be a good solution since it apparently has 10,000 plus hours. I'm not familiar with LED's so how would I know if I need 1 or 2 lights for my nano cube 24? Also, perhaps you can educate me in the difference between a color temperature of 12K and 20K?

spanko

Originally Posted by Contraband629
http:///forum/post/3198493
Hey Spanko,
Do you have a picture of the whole set up or is it just being hung from the ceiling? I'm interested in replacing my metal halides with something else and this might be a good solution since it apparently has 10,000 plus hours. I'm not familiar with LED's so how would I know if I need 1 or 2 lights for my nano cube 24? Also, perhaps you can educate me in the difference between a color temperature of 12K and 20K?
Yup just a standard light fixture from like Lowe's hanging from the ceiling in this case. Have seen multiples put on track light fixture above the tank also. I think for the 24gallon 2 Lights with an 80 degree optics would probably work for you. You may have to go three after you check it out though. A 12k configuration is going to be more on the white eye appeal side where the 20k will be more to the blue.
Originally Posted by nissan577

http:///forum/post/3198574
i would love to use this on my 3g pico. let me see it, thanks Henry!

There are few Pico's out there that are using this bulb Carlos.

nissan577

i saw it but the price drinking well i cant do it

i guess ima stick with the 36 watt PC light. and do SPS with that. like that guy did. the pic you posted

spanko

Here is one over a 10 gallon cube tank that belongs to Gabe. PAR38 20K fixture with 60 degree optics.

nissan577

wow henry! looking at those pics makes me wanna buy it so much! i know those arent compare to the 36watt one. but you think i can do sps????

spanko

Evil's PAR38 Lamp
High power LED lamp for reef aquarium use. Usable for many different
applications from primary lighting, to spotlighting certain show coral.
The combination of genuine white and blue Cree LEDs gives you high light
output, and great fluorescence from your corals. Featuring:
90-240VAC for worldwide usage
Standard E26/27 lamp thread
21W power consumption
Two options for color temperature; 12,000K and 20,000K
(Custom configs available - All Royal Blue / All Red - Custom.. email us)
Medium angle optics
Caution: These lamps are not designed for use with a dimmer. Use of this
lamp with a dimmer will void any actual or implied warranty. These lamps
are also not designed to be used in closed can style fixtures. Use of
this type of fixture will overheat the lamp, and will void the warranty.
Special QTY Pricing:
We understand how popular these are becoming, so take advantage on 5+ ordering discounts. Save up to 20%
1-4 - $119.95
5+ - $99.95 (20% OFF) - Discount applied as a refund after purchase. All other upcharges for options apply.