My LTA's sick!!!

nolesfan06

Well I have an LTA about 10-12 in. across and about 2 days ago i added some Microvert and ever since it's been shrunk up like it's irritated. It only opens maybe 3-4 inches for a short period then shrinks again. Could i have a bad bottle of Microvert?? the tank went without Micro for about 1.5 wks cuz i was to lazy to go buy another b4 i ran out. Whats goin on? should i water change?

T

thomas712

Do a water change and run fresh carbon, discontinue use of microvert, its no good for your anemone anyway.
Thomas

nolesfan06

it never did this before when i added microvert??? i do need to change the carbon pads. what do u recommend instead for coral supplementation?

T

thomas712

Well I should start by asking what is the microvert for anyway, corals or anemones?

T

thomas712

I know what it is, but why are you using it? For corals or what?

nolesfan06

yeah sry i use it for my coral and i was told it promoted purple coralline algae growth. is this true? also i been getting a lot of red-green slime algae on my substrate i think some phosphate got into my tank again. is there anyway i can control this other than amount of light on it.

T

thomas712

Try to stop using the microvert, there is no way that it promotes coralline algae that I know of. Only keeping your calcium and alkalinity will promote your coralline growth. I have some microvert, but rarely use it and only in the refugium to promote pod populations.
You can use phosphate remover like carbon, just put the beads in bags and place in a high flow area.
If you want to feed corals try some DT's phytoplankton and/or DT's Oyster eggs. They eggs are awesome for corals, mine really react well to it.
Thomas