My NC12DX setup and running, with pics!

gregzbobo

Yeah, my front glass was streaked. Sorry about that. And thats a bag of Chemi-Pure above the pump on the far right, and thats LR rubble in the middle chamber with the heater, not ceramic rings. Rock LOOKS like its touching the tank walls on the sides, but its just close, and its sitting right on the bottom with the sand piled around it, so it won't be moving. The top rock in the middle DOES touch the back wall in one spot, but I am not concerned with that. Skimmer isn't pulling alot of goo yet, but with the fish in, its only a matter of time.
Let me know what ya'll think so far.

feixjai

looks good. what do you think about the fission skimmer. how well does it work? btw i love your purple firefish

gregzbobo

Thanks, she is gorgeous. Well, the rock was already cured, and I only have a couple hermits and snails in there besides the fish, and that only for a couple days now, so the skimmer hasn't been doing much except making billions of bubbles and filling the cup with water.
I guess theres not enough pollution yet for it to make the proper nastyness, but so far it sems to work ok. Took me a while to get it in the compartment without the thing coming apart, I got mine with some cracks on the elbows, so they don't hold very well at all, but I am told that Current is aware of the problem and is making changes to correct it and I should be getting new elbows someime after the new year.

gregzbobo

Livestock list (so far)
Inverts:
3 scarlet hermits
3 astrea snails
1 nassarius snail
1 conch (queen I'm told, but unsure)
Corals:
1 quarter sized BTA (came as hitchiker on rock, it eats, so maybe I can get it to grow, who knows).
Fish:
1 purple firefish
LR - about 13-15 pounds
Sand - about 12-15 pounds dry Caribsea Aragamax and about a pound of live from my 65gal FOWLR.

gregzbobo

Originally Posted by zanoshanox
Sounds and looks great! Do you have any pictures of the BTA?
Its in the two overhead views, although its not the easiest thing to see, its the round brown thing with the white dot in the middle (mouth) on the live-rock near the middle chamber, to the right of the heater. Extreme closupe pic enclosed, BTA circled , but it seems to just show its tentacles, its column has planted itself in a hole in the rock.

say

Originally Posted by gregzbobo
Yeah, my front glass was streaked. Sorry about that. And thats a bag of Chemi-Pure above the pump on the far right, and thats LR rubble in the middle chamber with the heater, not ceramic rings. Rock LOOKS like its touching the tank walls on the sides, but its just close, and its sitting right on the bottom with the sand piled around it, so it won't be moving. The top rock in the middle DOES touch the back wall in one spot, but I am not concerned with that. Skimmer isn't pulling alot of goo yet, but with the fish in, its only a matter of time.
Let me know what ya'll think so far.

What kind of protein skimmer do you have in section 1??? Or what type does everyone suggest? :help: :help:

tatoush

Gregzbobo,
Nice Tank Pics. I currently have a FOWLR and am thinking of doing a nano. I like the setup of your tank. What brand is your tank as well as the hardware/lighting.
Levon

fishman72b

Originally Posted by say
What kind of protein skimmer do you have in section 1??? Or what type does everyone suggest? :help: :help:
This would be a FISSION SKIMMER used for tanks upto 12 gallons. the thing is soo small.. u can buy one through *********** DOT COM

fishman72b

hey gregzbobo... i find this funny and i had a few questions for you.. i bought the same exact tank.. and have a fission coming in the mail soon and i have the same heater but its meessed up it doesnt ever shut off! ok well heres my questions 1.) Did that surface skimmer come wit your's becuase i couldnt find mine in the box.. and i ear you need it to run the fission. 2.) Where do you put the foam media if the heater and skimmer are there?3.) Does your heater shut off when its at what you set it for.. or do you have to unplug it..
lemme know
-Byron :)

gregzbobo

Originally Posted by FIshman72B
hey gregzbobo... i find this funny and i had a few questions for you.. i bought the same exact tank.. and have a fission coming in the mail soon and i have the same heater but its meessed up it doesnt ever shut off! ok well heres my questions 1.) Did that surface skimmer come wit your's becuase i couldnt find mine in the box.. and i ear you need it to run the fission. 2.) Where do you put the foam media if the heater and skimmer are there?3.) Does your heater shut off when its at what you set it for.. or do you have to unplug it..
lemme know
-Byron :)
1) the surface skimmer is available seperately from at least 3 makers, including jacksdad on this forum
2)I don't use the foam, it can become a nitrate factory.
3) I put the heater in a 5 gallon bucket of water with a thermometer in it and plugged it in and adjusted it till the thermometer read what temperature I wanted. (always a good idea to do this with ANY new heater, better to overheat plain water than expensive fish and corals)

fishman72b

Originally Posted by gregzbobo
1) the surface skimmer is available seperately from at least 3 makers, including jacksdad on this forum
2)I don't use the foam, it can become a nitrate factory.
3) I put the heater in a 5 gallon bucket of water with a thermometer in it and plugged it in and adjusted it till the thermometer read what temperature I wanted. (always a good idea to do this with ANY new heater, better to overheat plain water than expensive fish and corals)
Yes but i was wondering.. say you set it for 75 degrees, when it reaches that.. does it shut off and turn back on when it gets below that? becuase mine did NEVER shut off and the temp on the heater was set at 72 and it never shut off and then tank was 81.. lucky there was no fish in it yet. does yours do ythis also?

gregzbobo

the temperature dial on the heater is rarely accurate, mine was about 8 degrees off, your heater may be faulty, it has a fairly long warranty, you might look into getting it replaced under warranty.

gregzbobo

I guess I should have posted this before.
Equipment List:
JBJ Nanocube 12 Deluxe
Current-USA Fission Nano-skimmer
SmallReefSolutions surface skimmer
Hydor Theo 50 watt heater (placed in my system 6 freshwater and replaced with an Ebo-Jager 50w)
Maxi-Jet 900 powerhead/pump
Hydor Flo rotating wavemaker device (awesome toy, highly recommended)
Chemi-Pure chemical media (1 pouch)
Nano-Customs LED fix kit (allows me to keep LEDS always on, also wired one fan to always be on)
Cora-Life Electronic thermometer
Mag-Float small algea magnet (didn't trust the cheapie that came with cube, glued seams may leak)
Cora-Life single timer powercenter
Future equipment plans:
4.24 light upgrade from Nanocustoms (adds 2 24 watt PC bulbs)
JBJ ATO water topoff (maybe, maybe not, not much room for sensors)

gregzbobo

Originally Posted by ClownGuy38
Whats that on your return (inlet)???
on the pump output? Thats my hydor FLO rotating deflctor. Awesome little doohickey.

bawood

You mention a Maxi-jet 900, did you just replace the stock pump with that? Or am I not seeing it somewhere?

gregzbobo

Originally Posted by BAWood
You mention a Maxi-jet 900, did you just replace the stock pump with that? Or am I not seeing it somewhere?
It replaces the stock pump. I have the stock pump in my Eclipse system six sort of rigged to run the filter in there, since the stock pump quit.

nanotwelve

I'm interested in the pump youv'e mentioned and checked it out at Marine
Depot. It's listed onlly as a poweredhead so I'm wondering if that's the way it comes and you modify it or what! :thinking: