My new A$$hole tang

fulcrum

I bought a new regal tang as the last fish for my tank this past week.
He is bigger than the triggers and as big as the lion, hopefully insuring his relative safety.
The problem is he likes the hiding spot my niger uses. Now he blocks the exit for the niger, who has missed the last two feedings!
Should I block off the hiding spot so neither can use it?
Will they work this out between them?
Why cant we just all get along!?

jumpfrog

Too funny. If it was me I'd let them work it out on their own. I'm sure the niger can make his point if he needs to.
Let us know how it goes. Mine trade places all the time, except for sleeping spots. Those seem to be out of bounds for stealing.

conogre

LOL!
All "getting along" is rarely in the cards.......we call getting a new fish playing "musical aquariums".
Most of these fish are used to having MILES to range in, and when they are forced to compete for hiding spots, sometimes it can get ugly.
Have you considered adding more LR so they ALL have spots to hide in?
Also, if you already have LR in the tank, many never think to add other porous rock that will BECOME LR over time, as the organisms from the original LR spread.....we've had good results and are pleased with the effect red Hawaiian lava rock has as it becomes "live".
Here in Florida, barges full of limestone are dumped into leased areas in the Gulf of Mexico then harvested later as "Florida Aquacultured LR".

fulcrum

I think I might move the tang to the 92 reef when it is up and running if this keeps up. I feel bad because the niger is the most aggressive eater of the bunch, and he's missing out on his grub.

J

juju

I can't help but think eventually the Niger will tire of this situation, at which time the Tang will learn to move.