My New Addition to the 75 Reef

kwiknezy1

I got one heck of a deal on this fish today. I paid 10.00 for it, so naturally i could not pass it up. Here is my new fishi

Sorry they are a little blurry. Hes a fast sucker...

kwiknezy1

Originally Posted by Mach03InFront
WHHHHHHHHHHAT!!! ten dollars like 10 ! wow cool!

Yeah, i was pretty happy too.. I know the guy at the fish store and he hooked me up. they had it marked at $39.99...And yeah like $10.00 amazing huh

dina12

He is beautiful - word of advise that you are free to ignore - please get him out of there and into a QT......they are famous for getting ick....I don't want to see your whole tank infected.......

ric maniac

i agree. its inconvinient, however is it really worth killing all the other fish? but he is beautifull.

kwiknezy1

well it didnt matter, i noticed after everything, ( all water tests ) that he was acting weird, so i moved him to a QT. he was dead by the next morning.. of course no warranty on the fish, but 24 hours later is was over. I do not understand this at all.. I can not keep tangs whatsoever, hippos, powders, yellow nothing.. here is my water parmenters..

Salinity- 1.027
temp- 78.0
Ph- 8.2
Ammonia- 0
Nitrate-0
Nitrite-0
phosphate- 0.2
calcium- 425
What is the deal.. to me, and by everything i have read, i shouldnt have any problems at all. Also i am doing the drip method for nearly 2 hours before placing them into the tank..Also after placing them into the tank i turn off all lights to calm down stress The powder didnt have ick, it just croaked over.. There was no white spots on him at all.. I am starting to feel really bad about loosing so many really beautiful fish.. let me give you a count of what i have lost so far.
3 hippo tangs ( 40.00 ea. )
1 powder ( 10.00 )
2 yellow ( 12.00 )
1 Blonde Naso Tang RED SEA ( 100.00 )
Any ideas??? they would be highly appreciated

ric maniac

i dunno, i never really liked tangs because they are so delicate. try a falso yellow tang they are pretty and arent as delicate as tangs. im sorry for your loss

kwiknezy1

Originally Posted by ric maniac
i dunno, i never really liked tangs because they are so delicate. try a falso yellow tang they are pretty and arent as delicate as tangs. im sorry for your loss
Man, i am just going to give up on tangs alltogether, i guess ill just have a damsel and clown with coral tank..

tarball

Try a new lfs, your numbers look ok in the tank. Something isn't right. Either the test kit is bad or the lfs is.
If the Powder only lasted 24 hrs, that might be a sign the lfs is messing with you.
10 bucks ?????

ric maniac

Originally Posted by Tarball
Try a new lfs, your numbers look ok in the tank. Something isn't right. Either the test kit is bad or the lfs is.
If the Powder only lasted 24 hrs, that might be a sign The lfs is messing with you.
thats a possibility too, good ol' lfs...

kwiknezy1

Originally Posted by Tarball
If the Powder only lasted 24 hrs, that might be a sign The lfs is messing with you.
10 bucks ?????

As for the 10.00 i have a friend who works there, that is why i got it cheap, also when i had the water tested i took it to another LFS just to be safe.. Both pet stores came up with almost the same results, one pet store showed just a small amount of ammonia..I also had them double check the QT just to be sure too, the only difference was temperature, it was 79 degrees, and the calcium was at 520.. everything else was great..Once again i dont get it.. the NAso was a huge loss, along with three hippos ( they was really small about the size of a 1/2 dollar )

ibew

Originally Posted by KwikNezy1
well it didnt matter, i noticed after everything, ( all water tests ) that he was acting weird, so i moved him to a QT. he was dead by the next morning.. of course no warranty on the fish, but 24 hours later is was over. I do not understand this at all.. I can not keep tangs whatsoever, hippos, powders, yellow nothing.. here is my water parmenters..

Salinity- 1.027
temp- 78.0
Ph- 8.2
Ammonia- 0
Nitrate-0
Nitrite-0
phosphate- 0.2
calcium- 425
What is the deal.. to me, and by everything i have read, i shouldnt have any problems at all. Also i am doing the drip method for nearly 2 hours before placing them into the tank..Also after placing them into the tank i turn off all lights to calm down stress The powder didnt have ick, it just croaked over.. There was no white spots on him at all.. I am starting to feel really bad about loosing so many really beautiful fish.. let me give you a count of what i have lost so far.
3 hippo tangs ( 40.00 ea. )
1 powder ( 10.00 )
2 yellow ( 12.00 )
1 Blonde Naso Tang RED SEA ( 100.00 )
Any ideas??? they would be highly appreciated

for one your salinity is alittle high also you should not read anything on phosphates the fact that you do is bad could be many things from your bioload, to your water for waterchanges, to what you feed your fish, not enough flow that your detrius stays at the bottom either way your LR and LS has consumed all that it can handle or if you run a fuge it can't keep up either.

ibew

go in to the new hobbyist forum and read under phosphates will give you alot of good info on this subject

kwiknezy1

Originally Posted by Ibew
for one your salinity is alittle high also you should not read anything on phosphates the fact that you do is bad could be many things from your bioload, to your water for waterchanges, to what you feed your fish, not enough flow that your detrius stays at the bottom either way your LR and LS has consumed all that it can handle or if you run a fuge it can't keep up either.

Everywhere i read says that 1.026 to 1.028 is ideal. said this is what the ocean is..I do water changes every month.. GRRRRRRRR this sucks

J

jamparty

Originally Posted by KwikNezy1
Everywhere i read says that 1.026 to 1.028 is ideal. said this is what the ocean is..I do water changes every month.. GRRRRRRRR this sucks

actually, ocean salinity is more like 1.023...
not to burst your bubble or anything >_>
anywho, you might wanna try lowering your salinity a bit
also, try a new fish dealer..
if all of your LFS's are bad, then just order offline.
The only drawback is that you have to schedule your life around the arrival of the fish, and of course acclimation process is vital.

renogaw

Originally Posted by Ibew

you're confusing nitrates and phosphates.

aanthony

im pretty sure that a higher salinity isnt enough to kill all of those tangs, same with the phosphates, my parents had a 6ft tank, and had a 6 inch blue hippo tang living in there for about 6 months (then they took it out) and the water was GREEN, so there was a blue hippo living in hose water for 6 months, and no problem, so im positive it has to do with your fish store, i mean, come on, a 1.027 salinity and .2 phosphates will not kill a fish within 24 hours,

kwiknezy1

Originally Posted by AAnthony
im pretty sure that a higher salinity isnt enough to kill all of those tangs, same with the phosphates, my parents had a 6ft tank, and had a 6 inch blue hippo tang living in there for about 6 months (then they took it out) and the water was GREEN, so there was a blue hippo living in hose water for 6 months, and no problem, so im positive it has to do with your fish store, i mean, come on, a 1.027 salinity and .2 phosphates will not kill a fish within 24 hours,

I lowered my Salinity to 1.025 today ( added some fresh water from the culligan woman ) temperature is now stable at 78.7 degrees even with the lights on. So that makes me really happy. as for the .2 in phosphates, that is the lowest my test kit goes to. It is a Seatest Kit.
I also talked to my LPS today ( my friend who work there ) guess where they keep their salinity..1.019 so yes that is a considerable jump to my 1.027. So i was not acclimating them slow enough. Also He apologized for the mishap and gave me a 120.00 credit towards fish ( no corals ... darnit) he felt guilty for not telling me...even though i have lost way more than that, but hey i cant complain..atleast it is something.
So maybe i am on the right track now. I hope one day to be able to keep tangs.