My New Black Volitan

eddie1973

This is my new Black Volitan I got today. I dont see any black, but I was told its a Black Volitan when I bought it. He was fed goldfish only. I already have feeding on frozen brine, and other frozen foods. He wont eat frozen sand eels. Does anyone have any other ideas what I can feed him. I dont want to feed him goldfish or minnows.

eddie1973

Thanks! I had a bluefin dwarf that died a few months ago. I saw this guy today looking for freshwater snails and I had to get him.

moby

I found you can sometimes trick them into eating frozen sand eels by waving them around as if they were alive. This seems to trigger them into a hunting response.
Moby

k-rok

Hey nice Lion! I'm out for a new larger tank just so I can get a Lion and an Emporer Angel. My question is this: how long did it take to acclimate your Lion? Was there anything special you had to do in the process? Also, I'm assuming you brought him home in a bucket? How did you actually get him into the tank? I'm assuming you had to use a large net. I guess I want to find out the best way of acclimation and getting a Lion into the tank before I go get one. Thanks.

eddie1973

I didnt do anything special, I floated the bag for 20 minutes. No bucket he came in a large bag. I tried to wiggle the sand eel, but no luck. I through a sand eel in the stream of a power head, he chased it and looked like he was going to eat it. I will have to try something else.

nudilove

Not the best acclimation technique, glad he's okay.
Good for you not feeding him freshwater fish, its terrible for their livers and is a death sentence.
He might go on a hunger strike being brand new, but you can try sliced pieces of squid, held in front of a power head so it wiggles, also gut loaded ghost shrimp.

v-lioness

Nice Lion.......
This lion is young, try smaller pieces, you can pick up a feeder stick at your LFS, they cost $1.50 - $2.00. Place the food on the stick and wiggle it. If you want to feed live you can use ghost shrimp, feed the ghost shrimp something nutritional first before feeding them to your lion.
Let the lion go a few days before trying the frozen foods, give it time to settle in. You can feed Frozen Sand Eels, Silversides, Mysis or frozen Krill. When the lion is on frozen foods, feed a variety of foods. You can feed chunks of Crab, Scallops, Raw Shrimp, Mahi Mahi, Shark steaks, Ocean Perch, Octo and Squid to it's diet.
Since your lion is young you can feed a small chunk daily but as this lion matures feed just until there is a slight bulge in the stomach area every 2-3 days.
Lions need a variety of foods, soak all of your foods in vitamins, Volitans are pretty easy to wean over.......
Hey nice Lion! I'm out for a new larger tank just so I can get a Lion and an Emporer Angel. My question is this: how long did it take to acclimate your Lion? Was there anything special you had to do in the process? Also, I'm assuming you brought him home in a bucket? How did you actually get him into the tank? I'm assuming you had to use a large net. I guess I want to find out the best way of acclimation and getting a Lion into the tank before I go get one. Thanks.
K-ROK - You can use a bucket or a large plastic pitcher, Do Not Net A Lion, this can tear the lions fin and cause damage.
Angels are picky fish, so if you keep this combination together keep a close eye on the lions fins. Angels have been known to pick and harass a lion to death......
Kaye