My new clams are here!

jpribelin

Well this morning i recieved my two new clams, a squamosa and a maxiam, that I recieved two days after they had been shipped (booo to Fedex). Thankfully both of my clams are still alive and both have opened :). Here are some pics of both of them. Here is the Maxima.

saltyrich

Looks good. How's your other clam doing under your vhos? I'd really like to know due to the heated debate as to whether or not clams and sps can be successfully kept under vho lighting. I believe they can and I'd like to here your experience.

jpribelin

well i did have to use photoshop to get the horrible pink out of the picture b/c my digital camera picks everything up as pink at first.

nm reef

Those are some very nice clams. Excellant pics ....and truely beautiful specimans you got there...thanks for the peek.
What specifics can you give us about your lighting and filtration...and how long has your system been established?
I have plans to eventually add a clam or 2 but I'm not confident yet that my lighting would be adaquate...I currently run 4x65 10k pc's & 2x110 actinic vho's(on a 55 gal display). I've considered a derasa and have nearly added one on 2 seperate occassions. Still I'm just a bit hesitant and may wait for a larger display and the addition of MH's.
Looking at success like yours helps me to hold off and insure that I'd be able to keep them healthy.
Man them things are nice...best of luck with 'em.:cool:

jpribelin

Well i got the maxima and squamosa from a place where fish fly :p . I have 440 watt vho's (2 10000k and 2 actinic) and running two emperor 400's with the bio wheels still on and 0 nitrates and my tank has been running for 8 months.

jarre

Ok, I'm now sold on a couple clams. I've been looking at them in the books and on the sites. Those are a couple of very very nice one's!! Enjoy!!!

herbbie

Being a young and naive hobbyist, I bought a maxima crocea clam on site. They are certainly beautiful, but it died right away. I paid $100 for it, and luckily my lfs guy replaced it. He felt it had nothing to do with my tank, but it just didn't make the trauma of the trip from the ocean to my tank. He only had it a couple of days before it went into my tank, and it was probably the last straw for the poor thing. Anyway, he's replaced the crocea on Tuesday, with one he's had for a few weeks in his tank, and he is doing great. He opened up right away, and hasn't tried to move. I have 2 400W MH and the actinic lights. He's very near the top of the tank on a flat rock. Wish me luck. If I had known that they were so tempemental I wouldn't have got one so quick. Tank has only been established for about 3 months, and I'm really a beginner. I feed my 220G tank 3 capfuls of calcium and 3 capfuls of minerals everyday. Do the clams need any additional food?