My new fish is DEAD!!!!!!

scubachris

My wife bought me a powder brown tang for christmas. I got it on monday. It was swimming around all week looked extremely healthy, ate, and overall was doing great. Last night everything was good. This morning hes dead! Water tested great this morning, so thats not the problem. Wife is upset she liked that fish, and she payed 45 dollars for it. She wants me to get another, but I'm confussed on why its dead. Any ideas. I know some will say the tank was not big enough, but I dont agree. This fish did nothing but swim back and forth through all the caves and crevices.

maddog0118

acclomTE HIM TO THE TANK OR PUT HIM RiGHT IN...i usually do a 1hr drip to the new guy to get him use to my water/tank..tell us what u did

evanjah

evan if he didnt acclimate him right I dont think that killed him. He lived a week. Ummm, how are ntrates, ammonia, Salinity, we need to know parameters of your tank.

scubachris

Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
pH: 8.2
Salinity: 1.023
Calcium: 380 ppm
I acclomated him for over an hour, and like maddog said he lived for almost a week. I might go get another today and take my chances. Mabey it was just a bad fish. All my other fish and corals are doing great so I dont think its my tank.

sean48183

Any visible signs of illness. Ich or velvet? Was his stomach pinched in? Did you feed him any algae? Eat mostly algae in the wild.

evanjah

your water is prolly fine. I dunno it has to be very stressful for fish. Caught out of ocean. Brought to a store. Then moved again . Fish ive found especially powder tangs are hard to keep mostly due to ich

scubachris

Well I decided to tank one more shot at it. My wife loved this fish so I went back to the LFS and bought another. I had the water tested again, and bought the food that they feed them at the store along with a Kent Garlic additive to add to the food. It was all suggested by the LFS. The things we do to keep our wives happy. LOL. Thanks for all the advise guys.

khaosreign

It could also be something at the LFS I bought a Ocellaris clown to replace the one that died a couple weeks ago. I tested my water and haad my water tested at the LFS to ensure that it was good to go. I then bought the clown took it home and dripped acclamated it for 1.5hrs. After about a week it started to swim upside down and then stopped swimming altogether. After taking it back to the LFS where i purchased it the owner refunded my money due to the fact that he had had about 5-7 returns of dead fish that week. I have since then stopped purchasing anything from his store. I love fish but i dont like seeing them die needlessly because they can't be kept healthy and alive at the LFS. anyway you may want to see if your LFS has had any other fish purchased around the date as yours die after they are taken home. Maybe try a different LFS if you have more than one in your area srry about the loss of your fish hope your second does alot better.

scubachris

Well I went to the LFS and got a second fish. Brought him hoome, acclimated him, and released him. As soon as he hit the water my other fish attacked him. I scooped him out and brought him back to the LFS. I guess my other fish must have attacked the previous tang at night. I guess thats the limit for fish in my tank. I guess its time to upgrade to a larger tank. I think ill go from a 30g to a 210g. Now I just have to convince the wife! lol Its a shame it was a beautiful fish!

scubachris

May have to wait for the lease on my apartment to be up. Plan on buying a house when I'm done with chiropractic school. Then comes the monster tank.

subielover

I know you got rid of him now, but please, please, please start quarantining your fish. I would be very surprised if your tank does not have ich after having two tangs in there. Good luck in the future.

ophiura

Looks like it was a 30g...If so a totally inappropriate fish for the tank, sorry to say, even if it was the only fish in the tank. :(

soulfish

I'd get one from a different store.. could be a cyanide caught fish.. they have a tendency to just die like that if caught that way.