My new fish is sick

wrassecal

1. State the problem as you see it and provide a detailed description. Red Sea Sailfin tang - 2 inches
Fish lethargic, lays on sand, swims around some, mostly early morning when others are asleep. We got it to eat some this morning. Hides a lot. Top and bottom fins look a little ragged. I caught my cherub angel nipping at it a while ago! All other fish are doing great.
2. List symptoms; white spots, not eating, labored breathing, etc..
I'd say he isn't eating enough. no other symtoms I can see.
3. How long has the fish had these symptoms
three days
4.What all is in the tank; other fish, inverts, corals, LR,...
sixline wrasse, cherub angel, tomato, lawnmower blenny, snails, two emerald crabs, bubbletip anenome, candycane
5.Tank size, how long has it been set up
135 gallon, llights out for 3 months, back on 2 months ago, did not stop circulation, skimming or filtration.
6. Diet; what are you feeding, and do you use any supplements (selcon, zoecon, garlic, etc..) mysis, spirilina enriched brine, nori, veggie flakes, zoe, garlic, cyclpeeze
7. How long have you had the fish and have there been any other recent additions to your tank.
6 days, no new additions
8.Have you tried any treatments thus far. Describe what happened.
No
9.Was the fish quarantined prior to adding it to the display, and do you have a quarantine tank ready to use? EVERYONE SHOULD!!!
yes, 3 weeks
10. Water parameters; VERY important! Ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, salinity, pH, temperature. Please don't say "my water is good." Post real numbers. It could be the clue to solving the problem.
amm 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 20
ph 8.2
temp 78-79
35ppt
I'm thinking about putting him back in q. With other fish nipping at him, I think it'll be death for sure, but, I'm worried about changing tanks too.
Help!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Deb, sorrry to hear that your new tang is having a rough time. It does sound to me that harrassment may be the problem. Two angels in the tank added at different times can be trying to get them to settle in. Can you post a picture up of the fish?
I'm assuming since you QTed this fish, that he was fine and eating well in the QT?

wrassecal

Beth - it's a sailfin tang. I've only got one dwarf angel, but I caught it nipping at the little tang. Here's what I've done so far. I took the sailfin out and put it back in q., started lowering salinity, lights out, and added stress coat. He is very sick with whatever it is. He was fine and eating well even through the first 2 days in the display. :mad: :confused: I'll post a new pic tonight, assuming he's still hanging in there.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry for the confussion. Looking at too many sick fish posts on the way out the door to work this morning. :rolleyes:
Is that picture since he became sick? He does look a bit thin. Is he thin? Is he eating all that you said you offerred your fish? How often have you fed? How was he doing in the QT? Was he picking up any body weight while in QT? Was he hypo-ed previously in QT?
Since you already moved him back to the QT, you can't really tell if aggression was the problem. I would say that if he improves significantly quickly then you are likely looking at an agression issue, even if you haven't noticed it right away.
Use a magnifying glass and really look at him, gills, fins, eyes, body for any reddening or irregular bulges or marks of aggression. Look at the anus area to see if it is bulged or reddened. Are the fins clear, eyes clear, breathing/gilling normal?

wrassecal

Beth - he died this afternoon.:confused: I guess I'll never know what was wrong. I had looked at him with my magnifying glass. I just couldn't identify anything. Maybe he was too small for me to see. It's so sad and as far as new fish, I've only lost 2 baby clowns before. (not that I didn't practically wipe out my whole tank once when my powder blue tang got ich)When I added the cherub angel about a month ago, it has done just great. My early Christmas present didn't even make it until Christmas

BTW - YOU'VE GOT MAIL