My new fuzzy dwarf lion

S

saxman

Nice fuzzy...kinda looks like some of the Maldives fish that have been coming in the past little while.

taureantank

Hey Saxman! Thanks for the reply.
I want to get him a tank mate but dont know what to get.
I also know that they eat things the size they can open their mouths so its a small window.
Maybe I should go for some Ground feeders ( i.e. crabs etc )
I have an Emerald Crab but never see it.

S

siptang

Nice! Now if I didn't have shrimps and that my wife loves shrimps in my tank, I would have gotten one in a heart beat!

G

dwarf lionfish typically can go with larger dwarf angels like a coral beauty or flame, large anthias and sometimes you can get away with larger wrasses. good luck! no ornimental shrimp btw but you probably already know that

S

saxman

Crabs (and shrimp) will be lunch, except for hermits...lionfish pay no attention to them or snails.
You could keep small scorps, and even larger waspfish with your fuzzy if you want to stay with that theme. Otherwise, you'll want to avoid small torpedo-shaped fish, as they're quite consumable.
Medium-sized wrasses such as Halochores sp. should be fine. We've also kept larger anthias with dwarf lions...our trio of O. borbonius did really well with them. Some of the smaller hawkfish species would also be OK.
Depending on your tank size, you could also keep another dwarf lion species (fu manchu, Green/Hawaiian, zebra), or even pair your fish up. Your fish looks a bit young, but I suspect that it's a female.
Here's a little vid of our 100 gal lionfish lair (we had just moved the fu into the tank, so it was sulking):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9qDwbH2uNk

taureantank

Thanks for all the replies ..... What makes you think it's female? I don't know much about lions .... Here is is with his tank mate. I was reluctant to get it but his mouth doesn't open to half the size of this one so figured it would be ok

To my surprise after a week, it seems that the fox is herding the lion around or at least sticking by it. Is this normal???

S

siptang

ohh... keep an eye out for that fox face... it will out grow that tank in no time...

taureantank

Yeah SipTang, I am working on my 40Gallon set up as we speak ... I just shut down my freshwater tank and am cleaning and reconditioning for Salt in that one.

S

siptang

40g? Still not enough friend. It outgrew my 72g in a year. :/
I see that your a avid wow player from your sn lol.

S

siptang

world of warcraft player.
your sn = taurean tank Taurean is a race in wow and tank is a player that holds most damage for the group so that others can concentrate on killing and dealing damage. Sorry, my inner nerd just stepped out for a sec.

S

siptang

Lol I think we all played it once or twice in our lives if you are 30 years old or younger.

taureantank

Sad to report, I lost my Lion fish 2 days ago.
I moved from one location to another and when I set the tank up, noticed he didnt want to eat the same as he used to.
I dont know if he just stressed out or what, but he ate about 1/3 the amount he used to.
I tried daily to get him to take something, but he just didnt want anything.
All my other fish are fine, Corals and Anemones are all ok. so my LFS suggested he probably stressed out during the move.
Me sad :-(

S

siptang

sorry to hear that buddy.... they are not the best movers... I lost one on the move as well when I was in college.

taureantank

awww dang SipTang! sorry bout yours also.
hey while you are on here .... do you know which API kit would be best?
They Have a ReefMaster and a Saltwater Test kit, does it matter?