My new horses won't eat

amandastp

I got my first 2 horses Friday afternoon and now it is Saturday evening and I still have not seen them eat. I'm starting to get worried. I kept the light off the first day, and then I started by turning the lamp on the table next to the tank on first. They look healthy, but they are just holding on for dear life and look scared. I turned all my pewerheads off so they can move around more easily. I have been trying to feed them 2 X a day and the food will float right into their faces and they act like they are afraid of it. Any suggestions, or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!! I got them from Saltwaterfish.com and they are CB so they should be use to eating frozen mysis. Please help!!!

teresaq

What species are the horses, How big are they.
I bet they are very young, and only use to bare bottom tanks.
Do you have them in QT
You can not let them go long without eatting. Thier systems will shut down.
Contact SWF and ask what brand of mysis they have been feeding
T

amandastp

Hi Teresa,
They are Erectus. They are very small. Are there any tricks to get them to eat? I will try to contact SWF. Thanks T!!!!

danu

I agree with Teresa. In most cases this is a stress related issue with shipping and a new environment. Normally most seahorses settle down within 24 to 48 hours. The idea of using a bare bottom tank with just a hitching post is a good idea. There are less things in there, you can readily tell if they are eating and there are no other food items (pods) for them to be sneaking. Keeping lighting dim until they settle in also recommended.
Dan

amandastp

I did set up a QT tank, but I had decided to just put them right into the DT to lesson the # of times they would have to be acclimated. I didn't think I would be able to keep up with the daily water changes in a QT tank either. I feel really bad and I am praying they come around.

dive girl

Amanda,
I read through this and hope that your horses are acclimating and start to eat soon. We're rooting for you!

teresaq

If you havent gotten them to eat, you should try some live food. Adult brine or small ghost shrimp.
T

amandastp

MY HORESE ARE EATING!!!! Not as much as I would like, but it's a start. I think they are just so nervous, they are afraid to let go of their hitches to chase the food. It has to practicly hit them in the head for them to eat it. I am going to get some live food today and try that. Thanks for the support everyone!!!

teresaq

I think its hard for them to go from a bare tank that they were raised in - shipped across the country, and then into a tank that has all kinds of scary things.
Hopefully they will start eatting like pigs for ya,
Hey where are the pictures.

T