My New Huma Huma (pictures inside)

robbytt

Hey all -
Well I went to the LFS today with the intention of picking up some saltwater to do a water change. I saw this Huma Huma and just had to bring him home. He is so beautiful!
I'm wondering if its natural for him to bite the rocks and let it out through his gills. He has been doing this alot! :D
Here he is! :cool: Cool - isn't he.

He he is taking a turn in my tank.

Here he is saying 'hi' to my clown. Now don't worry - he hasn't tried to hurt my clown and the clown seems to actually be enjoying this procedure...LOL :p

Lastly - An overview of my tank. Damn, saltwater fish are way cooler than any freshwater. What was I thinking for the past seven years. :D

Well, like I said so far so good -- The clown trigger isn't getting touched by my new addition. I'll keep an eye on him though.
RobbyTT
[ April 25, 2001: Message edited by: RobbyTT ]

grouperhead

nice humuhumunukunukuapua'a. i love mine. mine in a 75 w/ a miniatus grouper. what size tank is yours...really like your rock structure looks real nice. later, bo

robbytt

I have to credit my roomate for the rock structure - He's the BEST! It also looked a little better before the Huma Huma knocked down that rock on the right front of the tank. He's been busy rearranging my tank all night. Right now it looks even more different. He has built a cave in the back right corner -- I think he'll sleep there.
Ok now for the news..
[flame suit on] It's a 30L [/flame suit off]
Seriously though, I'm not trying to stir up anything but you asked. The good news is, there are fairly concrete plans to move to a 150g by June. For everybody that was concerned FOR me, I'll no longer have to give them away soon :D
RobbyTT

porkypuffer

NICE PICTURES AND NICE HUMAHUMA. I DON'T BELIEVE I'VE SEEN ONE WITH SO MUCH GREEN COLOR, IS THAT CAUSED BY THE CAMERA? PICKING AT THE ROCK IS NORMAL, MINE DOES IT ALL THE TIME. IS THAT A FEATHER DUSTER I SEE IN THE MIDDLE OF YOUR TANK?

seabreeze

beautiful fish...is that the one that is also called a piccasso fish? I would like one, but I dont think he would get along very well with my tang.

robbytt

The color rendering is pretty true to what my eye is seeing. It might be the 50/50 bulb I have in, but my digi cam takes phenomenal pictures.
Yes, that's a feature duster. He has already picked off a couple of its feathers. Although I think it is pretty -- I didn't ask for it and can't do anything to save it :( It came free with the gormet lunch I ordered from here: The BIG 20. Any ideas? I assumed you asked because you know it's doomed.
Yes, aka Picasso (He does look like a painting, doesn't he?) He should be able to live with tangs because they tend to not be so agressive. What kind of tang? What size tank? Reef, FO, FOwLR? These will all factor in....
RobbyTT
[ April 25, 2001: Message edited by: RobbyTT ]

porkypuffer

FEATHER DUSTER WITH A TRIGGER. THE ONLY THING I KNOW THAT WILL SAVE IT IS A STEEL, OOPS, PLASTIC GAGE.
YOUR CAMERA TAKES EXCELLENT PICTURES!!!!!!!
[ April 25, 2001: Message edited by: PORKYPUFFER ]

grouperhead

hey robby im not tryin to start anything i was just wonderin your tank size. your fish arent to large right now so i think they will work out until you get your 150. great lookin fish though. your clown loos really good and he is just gonna get prettier as he grows. later, bo

robbytt

dgs - Only 3 snails are left, one emerald but pretty much all the blug legs and scarelets. Few have been picked off though :(
BTW, looking forward to the more mature colors of the Clown Trigger fish! :D

clowntrigga

Awesome pics dude!Your gonna love that lil huma huma i have 2 in my tank they are really cool to watch ,they have so much character and they eat like pigs!I dont think he will mess with your clown ,i still have a couple of damsels in my tank and neither one pays any mind to them , just keep him well fed and u should be fine!Good Luck! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

rickt4du

Piccaso aka. Huma Huma = VERY AGGRESIVE. I doubt amy other fish besides a Great White would have a chance in there, let alone a Tang. Ask Mr. Salty about his Huma Huma experience he had last year.
Beautiful fish though. I'm jealous. Gonna have to start a new tank soon.
[ April 26, 2001: Message edited by: Rickt4du ]

robbytt

Clowntrigga - I too have a damsel but I don't think for long :( I might just bring him back to the LFS as he's served his purpose. I've had the Juv. Clown about a month now and I believe he is only 3 months old. :D I did pay $160 for him but I suspect the prices will begin to fall for the species as supply will increase in the summer months -- Well worth it IMO!!! :cool: I think $100 is a respectable price but I just couldn't wait!
Rick - A Huma Huma is infact way LESS aggresive compared to my Clown Trigger. The Huma Huma I picked out was in a tank by himself in the LFS for a while so is rather aggresive for the species but in a few months the Clown Trigger with dominate. There are in fact less aggresive triggers: White Tail, Niger, etc. but I needed something in the middle to survive with the Clown.
I am anxious to here Mr. Salty's story as from only a day of observing the Huma Huma in action, all I can say is -- SWEET!!!!
Mr. M - Where you at?
RobbyTT

lionfish

LionFish says.....
I just love Huma Huma Triggers. I rate them up with Lions and Harlequin Tusk as my favorite fish. But huma huma triggers have an awesome personality which rivals the Harlequin Tusk which has probably one of the best personalitys of all the fishin the world. Nice pics too. Really clear. Hope he does well.
Rick- Huma Humas are one the least aggressive triggers out there. Most triggers are quite aggressive but some, like the Huma Huma, are peaceful unless disturbed or they decide a fish is too small and eat 'em for dinner.

rickt4du

I just read an article on how aggresive they were. Eating the eyes out of their victims and munching at their leisure. And I thought the Niger was the least aggresive trigger. Info from here. Just wondering what to believe now.

grouperhead

as triggers go the niger and humu are pretty good. the clown, queen, and undulate are mean as can be. the humu is a very good trigger because it isnt agressive. the clown is mean as heck, the queen is meaner than heck, and the undulate is meaner than anything else that you will se at an lfs(w/ the exception of a hawaiin dragon). later, bo

lionfish

LionFish says.....
Well, Rick, I'm glad you got the info here because its correct. Buts you can't say that the Picasso is aggressive just because the Niger is the least aggressive. White-tails and Pink-tails are also quite docile. Also, you are probably being referred to them in the wild as they rarely display their true territorial ways in a home aquarium. That kind of behavior like blowing the sand with their mouths and eyeball pecking are very rare to see in aquariums. They can do this but the Undulated and Queen are usually the only ones that do this in home aquariums. Where ever you read that must be talking about wild triggers. I hope that clears up some things.