my new live rock

vbsaltydog

I am in the process of setting up my 55g corner bowfront and just received my liverock from *please be conciderate of SWF.com and not advertise for other sources*
Here are a few photos. The diver (Dale) pulled the rock on Monday afternoon and it was in my tank by Tuesday evening.
He also called me to see if the order was received and if I was satisfied. He was very helpful in our phone conversations and was very willing to offer advise on how to get the hitchhikers out of the rocks and how to properly cure the rock after it was added to my new tank.

vbsaltydog

I found a small mantis shrimp and even though I do not want one in my tank once it's populated, I didn't want to kill it either so I foolishly put him in the tank and then did my aquascaping so it might be in the tank alive or it might be under the 60lbs of LR.
There were also a few snails but thats all that I've seen so far.

rbrockm1

i would have sold it back to the fish store. them things are mean, mean, and mean. i like the rocks though. they look full of stuff. mine didn't look as good as yours when i first got mine they looked dead.

vbsaltydog

Originally Posted by rbrockm1
http:///forum/post/2578903
i would have sold it back to the fish store. them things are mean, mean, and mean. i like the rocks though. they look full of stuff. mine didn't look as good as yours when i first got mine they looked dead.
Where did you get yours? Was it Florida Aquacultured or Fiji?

E

enigma1388

mantis shrimp kill and eat fish and if they happen to punch your glass . . . good bye fish tank.

vbsaltydog

Originally Posted by enigma1388
http:///forum/post/2579233
mantis shrimp kill and eat fish and if they happen to punch your glass . . . good bye fish tank.
Are there any ways to trap them other than seeing them and trying to get them out on site?

E

enigma1388

if your crafty i'm sure you can set out a food trap and see if she goes for it ::chews on tooth pick for atmosphere::
oh and the snapping you hear is it clicking its claws which can move pretty darn quick when she wants them to.

vbsaltydog

I have heard that they have strong punching abilities which is why I am concerned. I dont need cracked glass or dead fish. I am regretting putting it back in the tank to keep it alive. I should have put some water in a separate container and isolated it so it could be taken to the LFS. Ohh well, lesson learned.
Thanks for the advise.

spanko

Unless you get the mantis out now before you get too far down the road you will have problems. They will capture smash and kill snails, hermits, and especially bottom dwelling fish. I would do the hypersalinity dip again to capture him and take him back.
Just my opinion.

vbsaltydog

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2579666
Unless you get the mantis out now before you get too far down the road you will have problems. They will capture smash and kill snails, hermits, and especially bottom dwelling fish. I would do the hypersalinity dip again to capture him and take him back.
Just my opinion.
hypersalinity dip?

aanthony

^ yeah what are you talking about buddy, that made no sense at all.
That rock is crazy by the way, so many colours, and it was 1.99 per lb???

spanko

I am sorry, I just took for granted that the way you got the mantis out in the first place was by using a hypersalinity dip. People have had success dipping their rock in a saltwater solution where the Sg is 1.035. Tends to irritate any critters enough that they come running out of the rock and does not render the rock useless. Couple of gallons mixed up that way, put the rock in and watch for the exodus.

vbsaltydog

Originally Posted by AAnthony
http:///forum/post/2580359
^ yeah what are you talking about buddy, that made no sense at all.
That rock is crazy by the way, so many colours, and it was 1.99 per lb???
The standard live rock is $1.99/Lb
I got the premium which was only $2.99/Lb
They also have decorative but I got the premium. It looks a lot better than in the photos but my camera has limited capabilities close up. It also 'opened up' a lot after the lr was acclimated. The photos were of the first day that the lr was in my tank. Now many of the sponges and small plants have become more prominent and there were two clams attached to the rock that are opening up and sifting the water for food.
I will try to get some better photos soon and post them.

vbsaltydog

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2581102
I am sorry, I just took for granted that the way you got the mantis out in the first place was by using a hypersalinity dip. People have had success dipping their rock in a saltwater solution where the Sg is 1.035. Tends to irritate any critters enough that they come running out of the rock and does not render the rock useless. Couple of gallons mixed up that way, put the rock in and watch for the exodus.
I actually looked up ways to catch mantis shrimp after receiving your reply and read about the hypersalinity dip. Thanks for the heads up. The guy that sold me the LR (Dale) said that you can dip the rocks in tap water (better than RO) and the fresh water "burns" saltwater creatures and causes them to jump from the rocks without hurting the LR. I already have my aquascape setup so I am just going to create a trap for the mantis and see if I can get him that way.
Thanks again for all of the posts.

vbsaltydog

Well, it looks like the moderators removed the info of where I got this LR. I understand SWF not wanting others advertising on their board but this is supposed to be a place where aquarium hobbyists can share info and resources but SWF wont let you share resources. I dont mean to make a stink about it but it just seems a little messed up that we cant share where we got something or tell others where to get something on this board when thats supposed to be the purpose of web forums. Anyway, I suppose you can PM me if you want to know where I got the LR.