My new nano tank

zoo28

This is my new 10G - 30 liters nano tank.
1.2 ocellaris clowns
2.2 Sinularia sp.
3.2 Discusoma
4.Blue sponge
5.Xenia sp.
6.3 feather duster worms
Skimmer - weipro
Filter - hanging - sun sun
Lightning - 36W

zoo28

The water:
nitrates - 0
nitrites-0
amoniia-0
copper-0
iron -0
calcium-480
magnesium-1430
phosphates-0
pH-8,5

clay12340

It looks really nice. I really like the big sinularia.
Out of curiosity why do you have ceramic rings in the display?
Keep an eye on your pH. 8.5 is getting to be high and if it rises anymore you could have some problems.

ric maniac

looks good! i was wondering why you have ceramic rings as well. i would like to see a pic of the blue sponge!

griffen8280

Does the skimmer help to remove your nitrates in the tank?
I have a ten gallon as well with
1 saddleback clown (used to be 2 but the female died in my first big thunderstorm like 2 days after bringing them home!)
1 Yellow Angel
1 leather coral
1 Sebae Anemone (bonded with remaining clown)
2 blue leg hermits
3 Elec blue hermits
1 Fire Shrimp
1 Star (unknown type)
My nitrates spiked the other day to between 15 and 20 ppm! I freaked.
Did a 10% water change and managed to get them down to 8 ppm but wanted to get a protien skimmer. However the guy at my LFS says that my carbon should be good enough and that my tank is just cycling. I just don't want to see my star and hermits kick the bucket because he didn't think I needed the skimmer!

clay12340

If your tank is cycling you shouldn't have anything in it. What are your other levels at? If ammonia and nitrite are at 0, then your tank most likely cycled.
You might have just had a snail or hermit or something die and pollute the tank if it was a sudden spike. If you recently disturbed your sand bed that can also cause a nitrate spike. Keep an eye on the nitrates and see if they rise again or if they stay mostly steady. A continuous rise means the tank is overloaded and either needs less bio-load or more means of handling it.
A skimmer will help reduce organics in the water, but it isn't really a requirement. On these little tanks regular water changes usually keep the organics down without a problem. There are a lot of good options out there if you do want to invest in a skimmer, but be sure to read up on reviews first. Some of the skimmers out there are junk.
Regardless of your nutrient issues you might have some serious husbandry problems ahead. What species is that angel? The only yellow angel I'm aware of is another name for a Queen Angelfish(Holacanthus ciliaris) which gets to be an enormous fish and requires many many gallons even at a small size. I'm far from an expert on angels, but I don't believe there are any that would be suitable for a 10 gallon tank.
The star is another potential problem. Most of them require very large and well established tanks. In a 10 gallon anything aside from the micro stars that are often part of a clean up crew will mostly likely starve to death.

griffen8280

Originally Posted by Clay12340
If your tank is cycling you shouldn't have anything in it. What are your other levels at? If ammonia and nitrite are at 0, then your tank most likely cycled.
You might have just had a snail or hermit or something die and pollute the tank if it was a sudden spike. If you recently disturbed your sand bed that can also cause a nitrate spike. Keep an eye on the nitrates and see if they rise again or if they stay mostly steady. A continuous rise means the tank is overloaded and either needs less bio-load or more means of handling it.
A skimmer will help reduce organics in the water, but it isn't really a requirement. On these little tanks regular water changes usually keep the organics down without a problem. There are a lot of good options out there if you do want to invest in a skimmer, but be sure to read up on reviews first. Some of the skimmers out there are junk.
Regardless of your nutrient issues you might have some serious husbandry problems ahead. What species is that angel? The only yellow angel I'm aware of is another name for a Queen Angelfish(Holacanthus ciliaris) which gets to be an enormous fish and requires many many gallons even at a small size. I'm far from an expert on angels, but I don't believe there are any that would be suitable for a 10 gallon tank.
The star is another potential problem. Most of them require very large and well established tanks. In a 10 gallon anything aside from the micro stars that are often part of a clean up crew will mostly likely starve to death.
Well the Angel was purchased after the clown's mate died because I was told I couldn't introduce another clown into the tank. The angel is a Centropyge heraldi Yellow pygmy Angel and so far has acclimated excellently. As far as water quality goes everything else is perfect my ph is 8.3 my ammonia is 0 my alkalinity is a little high but I think the iodine for my coral may have raised it slightly. Nitrites are 0.2 but my Nitrates are hovering at 8 right now. It only concerns me because I was told high nitrates will kill crustaceans. As far as the starfish goes I didn't research it enough before I puchased it and realized that he is probably on the slow flush!! The LFS doesn't take stuff back though,
so to remedy this I have been thinking of keeping a harlequin shrimp. I also like the way they look and have no trouble supply a star once a week for thier sustenance.
Anyway I didn't know if a small skimmer would be the answer for me or if I should get a couple cleaner clams for the nitrate control issue, what do you think?

zoo28

I bought one fire fish goby, one chromis viridis (there were two but one died during transportation), and one turbo snail.
I will give you pictures.
Yesterday the nitrates were 15ppm, but I cleaned the filter and there are 5ppm now

zoo28

Originally Posted by Griffen8280
Does the skimmer help to remove your nitrates in the tank?
I have a ten gallon as well with
1 saddleback clown (used to be 2 but the female died in my first big thunderstorm like 2 days after bringing them home!)
1 Yellow Angel
1 leather coral
1 Sebae Anemone (bonded with remaining clown)
2 blue leg hermits
3 Elec blue hermits
1 Fire Shrimp
1 Star (unknown type)
My nitrates spiked the other day to between 15 and 20 ppm! I freaked.
Did a 10% water change and managed to get them down to 8 ppm but wanted to get a protien skimmer. However the guy at my LFS says that my carbon should be good enough and that my tank is just cycling. I just don't want to see my star and hermits kick the bucket because he didn't think I needed the skimmer!

Your tank is very small for angelfish,and star.

But can you show pictures?

zoo28

I bought one christmas tree coral.
There are some pictures in the transportation bag.
Sorry for the quality.

And there is the picture of the fire fish goby.
Sorry for the quality.

One question - Why the big sinularia looks that.My friend say that the sinularia growing up