My New Nano

overanalyzer

I just bought an established nano for my desk here @ work. It is from a local reefer here in Des Moines who was selling the whole thing and the price was just too good to be passed up on.
5.5 Gallon All Glass with painted blue back
Whisper HOB filter
1 mini-jet powerhead
6 pounds of LR
1-2" Sand bed of black sand (some white sprinkled in)
2 favites corals
2 different types of shrooms
tons of green star polyps - the back of the tank is covered in GSPs.
32 Watt corallife PC with built in fan
15 watt heater (I think - small one).
some snails and bristle worms.
Biggest problem is that he had a TON of bubble algea - but I spent a ton of time last night cleaning it and have most of it gone. I also picked up an emerald crab to work on it.
The GSP growing on the back is a very cool effect but I am a bit worried since a lot of it was out of hte water for almost an hour - hope it all bounces back.
I am thinking a green or yellow clown goby or maybe a temporary house for my perc while I am moving from KC to DM. Also thinking of a shrimp of some sort ..... not sure what kind - blood red shrimp would look cool - so would a green clown goby hiding in the GSP ....
Anyhow - I am stoked about finally having a nice desk top nano
Pictures next week!

overanalyzer

Originally posted by donmgicwon
How much?

$25
Need to grab the camera @ lunch and snag some photo's of it. I will post either tonight or tomorrow
Also - the facilities dude called it a fish bowl .... OH OK
I am thinking I will put my bubble coral in there temporarily while setting up a bigger tank ....

overanalyzer

here is a shot of a frag of a frag of a finger leather (anyone else now humming Jimmy Buffet??)

and also you can see a few pieces of valonia (bubble algea) there .... man I pull some out EVERYDAY!!!
:mad:

overanalyzer

here is a shot of a frag I just brought up here from KC - it is a yellow polyp frag of a frag .... also a nice nobby shroom

overanalyzer

with all of this GSP in here I am thinking of one yellow clown goby .....
anyone else have a thought on a fish for a 5.5 gallon tank??

nudibranch

I would suggest a neon cleaner goby, but I like the idea of a citron clown goby better.
What about a shrimp/goby pair? They would do awesome in a tank that size. My personal fav is the Hi-Fin (Stonogobiops nematodes). You might even be able to get away with a pair of them w/ a shrimp, but that could be pushing it.
A little away from the fish idea, you could do a hosting shrimp. My first thought was a group of Sexy Shrimp (5 or so), only cuz I find them to be utterly fascinating.
Just kicking around some ideas. HTH

overanalyzer

Hmm not thought much about sexy shrimp (are they the ones who eat starfish??)
I thought about the shrimp/goby combo as well - the tank has a black sand bed and once I add a few more frags it will be mostly covered..... of course I could re-arrange ....

nudibranch

Harlequin Shrimp are the ones that eat star fish.
Sexy Shrimp would be nice in a group.
I had a shrimp goby before and I loved it. i didn't have the shrimp, but I was planning on it. The i went away for a week and the tank crashed. Regardless, it's an amazing combo. I've done a fair amount of research on this category and I can't wait to get a pair this time around. Obviously, in a bigger tank than what I have now, probably 5.5g. They do better in small tank anyway, because they are more comfortable w/ their environment.

overanalyzer

thanks for the info nudi!!
I had a long finned shrimp goby and I was told by my children I needed to get another one ASAP!! They are patiently waiting as their three favorite fish are the green clown gobies, the long finned (brown barred with a golden head) and of course nemo.
If there was regular sand and less GSP in this tank I would go for it!! Heck I still might - but I think the citron will look so sharp in contrast to the other colors and hopefully will perch in the yellow polyps right up front in the tank!

nudibranch

Given the tank you have, if it were me I'd do the Citron. I think your idea w/ the GSP and yellow buttons is the best. If I were to set up a 5.5 I would more than likely make it for a Shrimp Goby pair.
I built a tunnel for my goby since I didn't have the shrimp. Just a piece of hard tubbing w/ a rubber cork. At the time I never thought of PVC, but that's what I would use if I did it all over agian w/o a shrimp.
After doing all the research though, I wouldn't do it again w/o the shrimp (breeding attempt might be an exception, gotta look into that), I think the relationship is just TOO COOL.
Anyway, I want pics when/if you get the citron clown (or shrimp goby, hell I just want to see a pic period)!

overanalyzer

well two LFS up here get their fish in this tuesday and both have gobies coming in. One here had tank raised citrons @ $25 a hit..... I think that is a bit pricey - but should probably pay that.
Anyone how - one has black clown gobies coming in - so I may go with a black one then make the only other addition - aside from corals - a blood shrimp - would be a very colorful tank then!