My new reef aquarium

sparty059

Very cool picture dude! Seeing those pictures makes me all geeked thinking that's going to be in my tank!

gemmy

I would rethink the tongue coral. They sit on the sand and can get HUGE!!! They can move and it can hurt other corals.

sparty059

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/395326/my-new-reef-aquarium/100#post_3533918
I would rethink the tongue coral. They sit on the sand and can get HUGE!!! They can move and it can hurt other corals.
So I thought I read that somewhere as well so thank you for confirming that the tongue coral moves. In that case since I already put the order in I'll probably move the brain coral onto a rock and leave the tongue on the sandbed alone. However, if I decide to put the brain on the sandbed I don't think it'll be a problem since the two spots I'm looking at are partitioned by a rock... unless tongue coral can climb over rocks...?

sparty059

Yesterday my corals arrived! I placed them in the tank and put epoxy on a few of them so they'll stay put. I'm concerned the Tongue coral doesn't look as it should though. Here are the pictures, let me know if anything looks "off".

sparty059

So, I had a busy few weeks and hasn't had time to deal with my tank. This includes feeding the coral. Anyone have any thoughts about my open brain? It keeps rejecting all food I give it. Does it look like it's starving or am I over reacting?

sparty059

Now after trying to feed it again (3rd day in a row) it looks like it's releasing its waste. But at least looks a bit more plumpy which gives me some hope... yeah?

sparty059

Does anyone have much experience with Birdsnest? I ask because some algae attached itself to the birdsnest. I assumed modifying my light schedule would kill it off, however it has fully coated the birdsnest now. Is it game over for that coral? Or will at some point the algae go away and the birdsnest will return?

gemmy

My experience with birds nest is that I kill it. It is one of those corals that is considered to be an easy SPS, but some people cannot grow it. I would try to blow the algae off. Some people have reported that they have had it grow back when they thought they just had a skeleton.

snakeblitz33

try to pick off the algae and check your water quality. nitrate, phosphate, alkalinity, calcium and pH values need to be within adequate ranges. the presence of excess algae to me suggests an increase in nitrates and phosphates.