My new Skimmer/Refugium

slice

You are in the camp that says crabs are ok then?
I am in conflict. I would enjoy a few hermits and a sally or 2, I just don't know. I don't want any future coral munching.
I certainly do not want to constantly replace snails.

mrdc

I am in the camp of having some. I don't care for those clean up crew packs that come with 60+ hermits. I want to get some electric blue hermit crabs since I never had any problems with them. But like all crabs, they are opportunistic and will glady feast on a turned over snail.

slice

OK then, I will reconsider getting a couple of hermits.
My large (2 1/2" from tip to tip) emerald is not opportunistic, he is a predator. I saw him once pull a small nassy off the glass. I also saw him once pounce on an unsuspecting nassy on the sand. bas+ard

mrdc

I haven't seen my emerald in a long time so I don't even know if I still have one. I also added a porcelan crab that I haven't seen (never had much luck with them). I don't plan on buying either of those two crabs again.
Now a sea hare will mow down some algae but they usually starve to death because they run out of food. Someone needs to rent them out!
Have you thought about adding any shrimos? I like skunks and fireshrimp. ***** is charging $40 right now for a fireshrimp!
I told them they were crazy charging that price (my buddy works there so I can talk to him that way).

slice

I have 3 peppermint shrimp...at least I think I have 3.
They (or it) has been in the tank for 5 months now and I only see either the same one, or they draw lots to see who comes out. In any event, I see one peppermint shrimp nearly every day, especially when feeding mysis.
Lusting for a pair of skunk cleaners, but at $25 each at the LFS, have not been able to justify purchase when other things are more important right now.

mrdc

I believe they go for $20 here. I've had mine for 5 or 6 months but you don't get to see them much until the lights go out or when I feed. I think they are scared of the hawkfish and maroon clown.