my new swa/ some pics and questions

M

mike6969n

ok thanks for the replies. i will keep my salinity at 1.025 or as close to that as i can. i plan on getting a phosphate test kit and a calcium test kit anything else. and due to mixed opinions on the first pic i have envited ophiura to take a look at it, in my experiences at reading threads she has responded to her advise is seemingly unmatchable in the id department. i will wait on her response before terminating it. once again thank you everyone for the input it is greatly appreciated.
mike

M

mike6969n

btw as far as the scallop placement, well he tends to go wherever he wants. i can put him in one place and a couple of hours later he ends up somewhere else. it's cool how he just scoots his way through the water like that. fun to watch. but for some reason he seems to like that spot he always ends up there by the end of the day.
mike

ophiura

Its quite "aiptasia" looking, but there are loads of different species, if I recall. They are quite diverse, but do pack a punch. Might be better safe than sorry. Here is a big thread on it:
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/show...a&pagenumber=3
FWIW, scallops are not particularly hardy critters...and whatever you do DON"T MOVE it. They really must be left to go where they want, and they WILL move on their own Moving it is a stress. They should be fed daily with a mixture of phyto and zoo plankton, but most tend to starve in 6-12 months unless they have very directed DAILY care. They actually feed on very particular particle size food - VERY SMALL particles. Rob Toonen wrote an excellent article on them. Searching with his name and "flame scallop" on google should bring it up.
I'm not sure I agree on the limewater during water changes....
IMO - 30% water change once a month total - break it up how you will, but about 30%.
Use RO water, let your water mix a few hours if not a few days before doing a water change. Try and put a heater in so you don't shock anything with temp change, and check salinity and pH of your new water versus your tank water to avoid major shocks.
IMO, you do not need to add supplements except for calcium...water changes will handle the rest (iodine, strontium, etc). Test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, alkalinity, pH, specific gravity...also calcium, and perhaps phosphates).
Specific gravity should be 1.025-1.026, depending on temperature.

M

mike6969n

thanks ophiura,
i killed the little bugger. he looked just like some of the pics of aiptasia that were on those threads, however i used a little different methond of killing him than what they stated. the rock that he was on was rather small and easy to take out of the aquarium. i just ran hot tap water over him and he just disinigrated and fell off in the sink. i did manage to just kill the part of the rock that he was on all of my feather worms that were even close to him are still there and looking good. it did bleach out that part of the rock, but i am sure it will be back to normal in a couple of months. also as far as the scallop i have been feeding him baby brine shrimp frozen. i have been spot feeding him with a turkey baster and i used the top of a two liter bottle to cover him so that he gets all of it. looks like he is doing fine i have only moved him the one time to take a better pic, now i just let him go wherever he wants, i wasn't planning on getting one, but now that i have him i do intend on keeping him alive. i have been feeding him everyday and he seems to like the baby brine shrimp. he opens up fully when they are being squirted in there and then you can see his tenatcles grabbing the tiny pieces floating around him and he puts his tentacles in his mouth to get them off it is pretty cool. and since i have no life other than going to work and my aquarium i have no problem giving him this daily attention that he needs. thanks again for all of your assistance an everyone else also. i am planning on getting some peppermint shrimp next week after my first water change and let them take care of the other little buggers for me. thanks again for the assistance it is greatly appreciated.
mike

ophiura

I really encourage you to look up the article by Rob Toonen. They may seem to be eating (and I believe he specifically refers to the artemia)...but it is not necessarily digested.

jazzfish

Get yourself one of those syringes that come with computer printer refill kits. Fill it with lemon juice and squirt a little into the mouths of all your aiptaisias to kill them (only do this right before your routine water change.) I swear it works. The syringe will also be helpful for spraying plankton onto corals and into your scallop's mouth.

mudplayerx

Make sure you feed your inverts a nice variety of food. A lot of inverts will become dependant on one type of food and refuse to eat others and starve if you feed them the same thing too often.
Also, brine shrimp are great, but make sure that is not the bulk of the scallops diet because brine shrimp are very low in nutritional value.
As far as the lime water during water changes. I have no experience with this, but I have read it in at least 3 recent publications, so give it a try, it may make a big difference.

M

mike6969n

ok everyone thanks for the input, i did manage to kill the little guy, still not sure if it was aiptasia, but better safe than sorry.
btw i changed the layout of my lr see what u think.
mike

M

mike6969n

thanks woody,
the camera is a sony cybershot i am looking at getting a little better one after i get the tank underway, right now it is absorbing all of my extra money, but i am looking at upgrading.
later,
mike