my new tang

mx#28

Originally Posted by coralreefer
http:///forum/post/2567030
my parameters are listed above. i am feeding him omega one algae sheets for grazers. i am also going to soak the algae in selcon before i feed it to him. i hope this cures it because i want him to live

I've seen the parameters you listed - and they look fine - but they don't answer any of my questions.
1) How big is the tank?
2) What are the other inhabitants (fish)?
3) Do you have a grounding probe and/or have you checked for stray voltage?
These are important questions because the answers might to point to stressors that might make or break it for your fish.

coralreefer

the tank is 75 gallon and the fish are two false percs, an algae blenny, and a pseudochromis. i dont have a grounding probe and i haven't checked for stray voltage. keep in mind though that it had HLLE bofore it was in my tank.

mx#28

http:///forum/post/2567230
the tank is 75 gallon and the fish are two false percs, an algae blenny, and a pseudochromis. i dont have a grounding probe and i haven't checked for stray voltage. keep in mind though that it had HLLE bofore it was in my tank.
Okay, that should be a good enough setup. I understand that the tang had HLLE prior to going into yout tank, but it would still be a good idea to check for stray voltage just to be sure everything is optimal for the tangs recovery.
Feed a variety of foods (including healthy greenery) as many times per day as you can and the HLLE should clear up within a few months.

mx#28

http:///forum/post/2567661
how do i check for stray volatage, and is the feeding method im using right now good?
With a voltmeter. Ask around, I'll bet you can find someone who has one and can use it for you.
As for feeding, a variety of healthy foods feed often is best.

fish4ever

I bought a yellow tang from the lfs cause my wife and I couldn't stand watching it suffer. So I brought it home and put it in my quarintine tank. This fish had HLLE bad(skin was actually indented around the eye, and whole spine was white), the color was faded to pale yellow, stomach was pinched in, and the fins were practically gone. I really didn't think this fish had a chance, but I tried to heal him anyways.
What I fed him was, formula 1 and 2 flakes, sprulina enriched brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, marine algae sheets, and I soaked the food in Vita-Chem. I also have a grounding probe for the stray voltage.
When I bought him, he was about 1 inch...after a year, he is now about 4inches and has no more HLLE. Did the same thing with my Ebli angel, and my foxface. All my fish are heavy eaters and the usually eat from my hand.
Just wanted to tell you it can be cured. Good luck!

blueangelc

Also try to make your own food using a simple mixer with fresh (or frozen) seafood (shrimps, scallops, clams, squids) and mix with Selcon or Zoecon, few drops of garlic and lots of Nori (seaweeds)... I would leave mixing the seaweed until the very end to avoid it getting too mashed up. Beth has a thread somewhere on this Forum with more details, so check it out.
All my fish (including the Purple Tang) goes crazy when I feed them this home-made food. Best of lucks with your Tang!

m0nk

I had a long and rough battle with HLLE on my hippo. I started soaking all food, frozen and algae sheets, in Selcon, Vita-chem, garlic, Vitamin-C, and/or Amino and Omega 3/6 (by Brightwell Aquatics) alternately and after getting it into a much larger tank, it seemed to heal up pretty quickly. The case here might be that it was in a holding tank at your LFS for too long and the stress of a confined space could have been a factor in the onset of HLLE. If you feed quality foods and algae sheets, soaked in vitamins (like the ones I listed above), and keep your water parameters in check, the HLLE is reversible.
I've also heard that carbon use has been implicated in the onset of HLLE, though I have no idea if this is the case. I can say that I used carbon in the tank that my hippo started showing HLLE, and I don't use carbon in my new tank, but I have no direct data that says the lack of carbon use has anything to do with the HLLE healing.

m0nk

http:///forum/post/2569639
i was looking at my tank and saw that the yellow tang was eating algae off of the rocks. is this a good thing?
Yup, absolutely. All tangs feed off of the rocks by nature, and in the wild this is the majority of their diet. They'll cruise along in the ocean and stop at a reef/rock formation and pick at the algae growth. This is one of the reasons that a good amount of live rock is important, especially since you can't just keep algae constantly in an algae clip.

m0nk

http:///forum/post/2569661
im planning on making my own homemade food for him. i shouldnt put in any meaty foods right?
They do need meaty foods too, but they should have algae too. When I make food I use squid, clams, shrimp, cyclop-eeze, and some purple algae sheets, and I feed algae sheets on a clip once a day. I also toss some chaeto in the tank every now and again for a treat; they all love that stuff, and my yellow tang loves it more than the others.

coralreefer

here is what i plan on putting in the food:
marine A spirulina pellets
omega one green algae sheet
selcon
drinkmore water(as the base)
omega one regular fish flakes
brine shrimp
MAYBE bloodworms
does this sound good as a homemade food? does it count as a variety of foods?

puffer32

Don't use brine shrimp or blood worms, neither is a good meaty food. Use mysis shrimp, maybe clam or squid.

blueangelc

Yes. He eats too much sometimes (and getting too fat I think), I am thinking of cutting back his portion. Currently I feed him daily but maybe cuts back to once every other day
His diet is mainly nori and twice a week I treat him with home-made food. It is highly nutritious and you know exactly what he is eating (more protein, less moisture
).
http:///forum/post/2569635
blueangelC, are your tangs healthy? i assume they are. how often do you feed them?