My new tank

sallen

Hi all here is my 4ft tank i have just setup after cycling.
It has
snails and hermits
shrimps glass and 1 x CBS
2 x Tomato Clowns ( the smallest ones the shop could give me :mad: )
1 x Sand Anemone
7.5Kg of LR
Sand bed
Equipment: fluro light ( blue/white)
1 X Powerhead
Aquaclear 300 FILTER
2 x airstones & a heater
What do you think, I am a newbie so dont laugh too much. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT IT NEEDS AND WHAT WOULD YOU PROFFESSIONALS RECOMMEND ADDING TO IT
CHEERS

lubeck

How big is your tank? I wonder if you need more filtration. At first glance it looks very pretty. Although, why is your water level so low? Your return from your filte is making bubbles.

actionjack

Originally Posted by Lubeck
How big is your tank? I wonder if you need more filtration. At first glance it looks very pretty. Although, why is your water level so low? Your return from your filte is making bubbles.
The bubbles might be from the airstone which you should remove as it does more harm then good to saltwater aquariums.

sallen

Its A 4ft About 150 Litres. The Water Level Is About 10cm From The Top. The Filter Is A Hang On The Side Waterfall Type An Aquaclear. Is This A Problem If The Water The Filter Is Putting In Makes Bubbles?? I Thought It Would Help With Airating The Water????

sallen

Originally Posted by sallen
Its A 4ft About 150 Litres. The Water Level Is About 10cm From The Top. The Filter Is A Hang On The Side Waterfall Type An Aquaclear. Is This A Problem If The Water The Filter Is Putting In Makes Bubbles?? I Thought It Would Help With Airating The Water????
I HAVE A POSTER ATTACHED TO THE BACK OF THE TANK OF CORAL REEF

sallen

Ok I Have Disconnected The Airpump So No More Bubbles From The Airstones. So How Does The Water Get Airated Then. Oh And The Filter Puts Water In From The Side And Makes A Few Bubbles To.

poniegirl

I HAVE A POSTER ATTACHED TO THE BACK OF THE TANK OF CORAL REEF
I think we would like to see just your tank. The background is great! But it doesn't show what one would need to see to make suggestions.

teresaq

add a plain blue or black background. add 3 or 4 powerheads under the water for circulation. add more water. should be about an inch from the top. that will help with the water coming out of your aquacllear.

sallen

Here Is Another Picture . I Need More Info About Whether Or Not The Bubbles Are Good For Marine Aquariums??? The Power Head Also Puts Pot Small Bubbles Too.

sallen

Ok Adding More Water Will Be Easy. My Powerhead Has A Venturi On It That Puts Out Bubbles Should I Keep It On , If Not Why?? Are Nudi Slugs And Star Fish Good For The Aquarium???

ravennreef

Take the venturi kit off the powerhead. Bubbles are not good for corals and most everything that we put in our tanks.
I would also highly recommend getting a protein skimmer. It will do all the aerting you need. You can get one that hangs on the back of your tank.
Also, most people with reef tanks do not use hang on filters. Put some more live cured rock in your tank and use the aquaclear for maybe polishing your water...
Do some searchs and you should get all the info you need.
Hope this helps

teresaq

looking better. add the new background and it will really pop. If your power head had an air tube sticking ou of the water, take it off. yes micro bubble can be bad. they get in the fishes gills, and causes problems. you muight add more live rock if you can. good filter. and add at least one more powerhead at the blowing on the surface for good gass exchange.

wattsupdoc

I use a HOB filter. It helps with flow, plus I run carbon in it. Loose the venturi. I understand the bubbles can cause popeye. Get some more LR. Looks pretty good!

sallen

thanks alot for that you have all been a big help. just a few more things i need to know, so do u mean point the powerhead facing up so that it is vertical??? what star fish a good for reef tanks i got one in my tank he is black and fury/spikie???

sallen

thanks for that. what is a good protein skimmer for 150litre tank. I just want somthing to do the job not spend a fortune.

lubeck

Ok Adding More Water Will Be Easy. My Powerhead Has A Venturi On It That Puts Out Bubbles Should I Keep It On , If Not Why?? Are Nudi Slugs And Star Fish Good For The Aquarium???

I think from all the bubbles created by the waterfall your powerhead is just spitting our exsisting bubbles.

lubeck

thanks alot for that you have all been a big help. just a few more things i need to know, so do u mean point the powerhead facing up so that it is vertical??? what star fish a good for reef tanks i got one in my tank he is black and fury/spikie???

I heard star fish need a well established tank. If you start to see it loose color or limbs start to decompose try to get rid of it.

lubeck

thanks for that. what is a good protein skimmer for 150litre tank. I just want somthing to do the job not spend a fortune.

Correct me if I'm wrong... but... since your using the metric system I take it you don't live in the U.S.? I'm not sure but I think 150litre is 55 gal. so an ASM1 or ASM2. they sell them on this site and also have thier own.

promisetbg

Just a suggestion but it appears there are artificial decorations in this tank? If so I would recommend removing them. Some can break down in saltwater and leech things into the tank you doon't want. It looks like it could use alot more live rock. Buy a Euro-Reef skimmer. You will need to research about return pumps, a sump, and an overflow.