My New Tankmate - Blue Moon Crab

euphoria

Well I hope you guys are right and he'll come out and play soon.
I tried taking pics of the skeleton but it was in a bad area and kept coming out blurry and dark.

entice59

my lfs had a lot of these in one tank, they were jumping up and down, i was pondering if i should have gotten it though.

euphoria

Originally posted by OneBadTang
i believe your lion had the blue moon crab 'a la carte
' for dinner since you didnt feed it for four days.

:) That's what I thought, but the fact that it doesn't have teeth to chew on, I doubt he ate it, UNLESS he swallowed the whole crab and spit the bones out :D

euphoria

Oh by the way, last night after work I tried to take a pic, but couldn't find the exoskeleton where it used to sit. I"ll definitely post pics though if or when it comes out of molting (IF molting).

moraym

Yeah, the lion didn't do that. A lion will suck something in and spit it back out, but you said the mouth wasn't big enough to do that, and also if it spit the crab back out it would still be alive.
The fact that the crab has disappeared is a good sign, the exoskeleton is likley to disintegrate and get swept away. If it was actually dead, i'd expect it to be sitting in the same place.
Oh yeah, was the exoskeleton/crab standing up? How was it laying?

euphoria

The exoskeleton was behind the rocks and I believe it was upside down, but then again there was a big hermit crab moving it around.
If it's actually molting, how many days until I'll see it back out?

euphoria

Well guys, the crab hasn't been seen yet, and I"m positive it actually died and is not shedding skin all this time.
Damn it looked nice, I wonder what took its life.

zoe

I have a feeling you'll be seeing that little blue guy soon. I really think from your description that it was a molt.

zoe

Sorry, I wan't looking at the dates. If you've not seen him in three weeks, I imagine he's dead. Bummer!

neowind

What you described in your post was definatly a molt but they are very weak and vulnerable during this time it may have been attacked by something while it was molting. Have you looked at night? Use a flashlight to search the tank at night and see if you see anything.

euphoria

It's definitely dead, cuz my tank is only 4 feet long and doesn't have too many dark spaces for it to hide. I have checked every corner, and trust me it's dead.
It's ok, lesson learned. If any of you guys wanted one, now you got to think twice about it.