My new turtle pond!

reefkprz

oh there is s difference between softness in the shell and shell rot both are treatable in the early stages by you advanced cases usually require a good vet knowledgable ion herps, with access to high power meds. remember to wash your hands after touching them turtles DO carry salmonella.

rara12

Ok, im not sure but i think the five turtles i got in china town have shell rot. Its not so much as white patches as the lines inbetween the plates on the shell are whitish. So to be safe i pulled them out and applied neosporin to their shells. they will be there till a little after 11 as i have to go to work, should i rinse them off before putting them back??? The diet for them right now is worms, meal worms, dried shrimp, dried krill, and a floating turtle pellet. I have elodia in there for their munching and had lettuce in there with them. Didnt know if the lettuce was good or bad so i discontinued it.

If I were you, I would have put the fish in after you got the turtle trained on tubiflex worms. I did this with mine and he has'nt touched the fish. Kinda made me mad because i put them in there for him to eat Not make friends with. LOL

petjunkie

Pretty nice little setup, keep in mind turtles don't really like friends and need a lot of space when full grown, I think red ears are recommend for a 125 gallon minimum each when grown, I was given four baby map turtles and had to get rid of them as there was no way I could make room for one, let alone four. They were super cute though, pretty shy, I had my 3 year old nephew catching bugs and worms for them as part of their diet. Also keep an eye on water quality, I couldn't believe how filthy four tiny turtles could be! I ended up spending a couple hundred on them and I only kept them for a month, heat lights, food, uvb, ramps and docks, etc. Almost worse than saltwater.
You should take a pic of the map turtles belly, I loved the designs on mine. Also how much did that tub cost you? I've been thinking about a little pond setup.

mscarpena

Ive got an eastern mudd turtle some one gave to me if you want it you can have it. He's perfect for your little set up. He's about 13 yrs old and is only about 3.5 inches long. Let me know. He's free to a good home and after seeing your beautiful set up I'll bet you'd be a good home.
petjunkie My turtle tank stays clean. It's a 20 gallon long you just need to have some sort of filter on it. I only clean it about every 2 months and the rest of the time the water is crystal clear.

sharkboy13

oh cmon man, turtles? now whatcha need is a nice manly caiman, no turtles lol, but seriously, nice pond, ive been wanting to start one

rara12

The filter is a little messy right now, still gotta fine tune it. The turtles are lov'n the tub. I paid $70 for the tub but it was hard to find where i live. Its 100g and works pretty well. Will post more pics later. The RES are sitting in a dry pen for a little while with some neosporin on their shells for possible shell rot.