My New Zoas

patrick8929

Well this isnt my first colony of zoas ever but the first for this tank. I have a couple questions and a few pics. My first question is, can i get a positive id on these guys, my best guess is eagle eyes and radioactive dragon eyes, and some color morph im not sure what it is. Also with my lights im hopping these guys will spread pretty quickly, can i get a detailed explanation on how to frag and the materials i will need to do so?
thanks for the help!

greenreefer

your ids are correct. fragging is easy but I know scary if you've never done it before. take a razor blade and cut the mat (assuming you took the colony out of the water and the polyps are closed) in between the polyps you want to seperate, then either break the rock at the cut with tin snips or something like that or pry them off of the rock with a credit card or plastic knife. Be brave and dig in, once you've done it once you'll be a pro :)

patrick8929

thanks green i appreciate the info i thought my ids were correct.

and i believe i understand what to do as far as fragging. thanks again.
rlablan- thanks for the thought mine are a little brighter green than those tho, im gunna stick with my ids, besides i like the names haha they are cool

greenreefer

looks like radio active dragon eyes, but I'm guessing there is some difference because you already have some of those. Can you describe whatever the difference is?

patrick8929

thats what i thought as well, but i wasnt sure, i dont think there is really any difference i just cant see my firsts ones that great so i just wasnt sure. thanks!

greenreefer

I'd have to agree. A lot of people pass them up because they are common, but they are a great looking zoanthid.

patrick8929

so i asked if i needed to feed anything and got an answer of no, but is there something i can feed these guys? something that will just help them grow that much more?

patrick8929

how exactly do you spot feed? like squirt some into the middle of them? what if my fish gets a hold of some of it?

greenreefer

yes, squirt it at the colony with a turkey baster or eye dropper depending on the size of the colony. It won't hurt the fish if they get some, but the idea is that you can feed less (keeping the water cleaner) if you spot feed instead of just feeding the whole tank.

patrick8929

Originally Posted by GreenReefer
http:///forum/post/3080452
yes, squirt it at the colony with a turkey baster or eye dropper depending on the size of the colony. It won't hurt the fish if they get some, but the idea is that you can feed less (keeping the water cleaner) if you spot feed instead of just feeding the whole tank.
okay fantastic thanks alot ill probably go pic some up this week