my octo just laid eggs!!!

hammerhed7

I hate to break it to you but many octo's die shortly after laying their eggs. I hope this is not the case for you.

fishkid6692

yeah i'm aware that she may die but i'm happy to have her for now! and who knows i may get to raise her babies!!! also it's hard to get pics because she's so far into her den. i saw a few eggs this morning but she hid them as quickly as she could.

fishkid6692

i'll take a pic of her den. and the other bad thing is hummelincki octopus are small egg layers so when the eggs hatch they will be planktonic. but i can't give up. theres still a chance!

aw2x3

No point in even trying to raise the eggs because there's no chance they're fertilized.
Female octo will lay eggs, at the end of their life cycle, whether they're fertile or not.
You've got a maximum of a few weeks, before she dies, unfortulately.

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by AW2x3
http:///forum/post/2477893
No point in even trying to raise the eggs because there's no chance they're fertilized.
Female octo will lay eggs, at the end of their life cycle, whether they're fertile or not.
You've got a maximum of a few weeks, before she dies, unfortulately.
Wow an Andy/George Jefferson siteing...Good to have you pop in

fishkid6692

i am aware female octos lay eggs at the end of there life cycle but what do you mean there is no chance they are fertile? octos can hold sperm for up to 6 moths before laying eggs. she could have mated at an earlier point in her life(which is very possible considering she was kept with a few other octos before i bought her). and also if i can get her to eat while shes brooding the eggs(which is very possible also considering its been done before)she could stay alive for another month or 2. i dont mean to be rude.....just saying what i know.