My Peppermint shrimp sucks!

fishfood

Ok, I've seen the same thing posted a couple of times about peppermint shrimp. Well I just got a frogspawn frag and put him in the tank. One of my 2 peppermint shimps went right over and started to rip it apart. Now i have noticed that anything i put in the tank the peppermints seem to attack at first and then thats it. Well after trying to catch these little @#^$% and not being able to I have just been watching the tank for an hour. They have been on and around the rock that the frag is on but haven't touched it. Will i wake up in the morning with a skeleton of my frogspawn??? If i can catch the shrimp they will go in the sump. This hobby sucks sometimes!

fishfood

yea, my cleaner shrimp fights with the peppermints all the time if they get too close. The thing that pisses me off is that the tank that the frag was in had some peppermint shrimp in there. Why do i have to have the one that doesn't like to play well with others.

chinnyr

My expeience with peppermint shrimp is that they are the easiest to catch.Just put yoor arm in the tank and they will come over and climb right on.They will begin to pick at your arm,and you can easily scoop them up with a net or your hand.They are always curious and looking for a free meal!Now,catching camel shrimp is a different story!I have tried baiting,nets,and moving rocks with no avail.

karlas

i had trouble catching a peppermint out of my tank kept trying didnt work. after i turned the lights out he climebed on top of the rock and i used 2 nets to corner him and thats how i got mine

jumpfrog

It could be that they're just checking out the new object for a possible meal.
My LFS has a small tank filled with peppermint shrimp. He places all corals which he suspects may some aptasia by/on them in his shrimp tank for a few minutes before he bags the coral up.
The shrimp go crazy over the coral for a couple of minutes and then leave it alone. Pick it clean of anything on the rubble/coral.
Just a thought!
Good Luck!

fishfood

Well my peppermint shrimp will not come out when i put my hand in the tank. We tried luring them out with some food in a net. The stupid cleaner shrimp got it. My cleaner shrimp does what you described chinnyr. Anyway...
Well I went out last night and got home and the lights were off. The corals still looked fine.
Woke up this morning and everything seems ok. So it looks like they won't bother it anymore.
They just like to attack everything i put in but this was the first time they actually tore some of its limbs off.
thanks

uvmfish

I agree with Jumpfrog, my peppermint shrimp investigate anything I put in the tank for awile and then forget about it. They are scavangers and will most likely not hurt anything. It is better to be careful though so keep an eye out. Good luck and give them a chance, I think they are great to watch!