my pH is too low

psumba

Need help with how to raise my pH.
It is basically locked at 8.0
I use Kent's Superbuffer, my Alkalinity is pretty near top of suggested range.
How can I get it up to 8.2?
I have read that most corals and creatures enjoy that more than the 8.0
Thanks for your help.

twoods71

I believe most people keep there reef tanks around 8.2 - 8.4.
The first thing I would think about is my test kit. Some are very hard to tell then difference between 8.0 and 8.2. Maybe take a sample to the LFS and see what they read.
Also there are many pH buffers on the market that work well.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I wish i could find something that will adjust pH easily. I have the same problem. My pH is always at 8.0 no matter how much buffering I do. I use selifert test kits, which are supposed to be one of the best, and there is enough variation in the color so that you can take a reading without a lot of guessing, but the water still stays a 8.0. I do use distilled water. Probably drip kalk is the answer.

brooklyn johnny

I had this same problem on my 10 gallon nano with 6 gallon fuge. I use a pinpoint pH monitor and dose b-ionic. My problem was that I was dosing equal parts of one and two (alkalinity and calcium, respectively). Calcium was getting sucked up and so in order to try and raise it I upped the dosage on BOTH parts one and two, which was a mistake. The result was increased alkalinity and a decreasing pH like you mention. I spoke a knowledgable tech at ESV (the company who makes b-ionic) and just in time.
I was just about to start adding a pH buffer, but once you understand what's going on that would be a mistake. My dropping pH was a result of a higher alkalinity. Normally, my pH would drop to 8.0 at night, and peak at about 8.25 at the end of the day. My alkalinity was at 3.0 meq/l or 8.4 dkh. As my alkalinity went up to 4.5 meq/l, my pH would not rise as much during the day from photosynthesis, and would drop overnight. ADDING A BUFFER HERE WOULD ALSO INCREASE YOUR ALKALINITY WHICH IS WHAT YOU DON'T WANT. As Beth said, the answer is kalkwasser. Kalkwasser will do what the the two part solutions do, while at the same time raising your pH to a better level, sometimes too high. If you do dose kalkwasser I suggest a pH monitor, as you need to keep an eye on it. They are about 100 bucks, but they make up for the price in convenience. With the kalk, I keep my two part b-ionic on hand to adjust the alkalinity to 3.0 meq/l and the calcium to ~ 450, then let the kalk maintain it. This seems like a lot but this darn 10 gallon is trickier than my 180 ever was!
If you do not go to the kalk, lay back on the kent's superbuffer until your alkalinity drops. Add enough to keep your alk around 3 or 3.5 meq/l. When your alkalinity drops your pH should come up. If this doesn't happen there is another reason for the low pH. Be careful with what you add, and ALWAYS KNOW WHAT EXACTLY YOU ARE ADDING BEFORE YOU ADD IT. READ WHAT EACH PRODUCT IS MADE UP OF. WATER CHANGES WITH RO WATER AND A GOOD SALT MIX IS ALWAYS A GOOD SOLUTION. DILUTION OF POLLUTION IS A GOOD SOLUTION. That saying goes something like that. Hope this helps.

psumba

huh. that sounds like good advice.
quite backwards from the superbuffer being sold from Kent.
It says it will raise your pH and alkalinity combined.
I guess its good that I have skipped the bi-weekly dose that they recommend.
For my calcium, I use Kent Liquid Calcium. I dose on Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays the bottles recommended single dose.
I cap per 50gal (I have a 55g). I took by Ca reading last night and I am at 465.
I thought previously when I was having trouble holding the 8.2 (I was terrorizing my xenia) that it was because the Ca was eating away the OH- ions. Ca(+2) + 2(OH)- ---> Ca(OH)2 (Calcium Hydroxide). This was then leaving too many H+ causing the water to become acidic low pH
have I missed something with my Chem 101 and need to break out the book again?
Are there any chemists out there that can set me straight?

twoods71

A build up of natural acids will lower pH levels. However if no intervention is taking the pH will continue to drop.
In this case I would do a water change. Because you mentioned it was locked at 8.0 I did not feel this was the problem.
I was stuck at 8.0 for a while myself. A build up of acids was not the problem. I used proper pH 8.2 and BAMM there it was with one dose. Alk went up as well.

twoods71

One more thing. It is sometimes recommended when adding a calcium additive to wait at least 24 hours before adding a carbonate additive (buffer).
Read the product label, recomendations may vary.

psumba

thanks I'll try that.
I was wondering how good that product was.
And I will recheck my Liquid Ca label.