My picasso trigger is acting weird....help

khilgers

I just recently added a niger trigger to my 55 gallon and ever since my picasso have been acting strange. He keeps swimming up to the grotto rock, pitching on his side and kind of slapping himself against the rocks. And scraping himself against the rock like he has a really bad itch. I lost 2 fish a couple months ago because of ich and that is what I think is the problem. Any other opinions?

squidd

Sounds like it may be a new ick outbreak...
Adding additional tankmates can sometimes cause enough "stress" to affect the fish's immune system and allow the ich to get a hold and cause a problem...

khilgers

I checked all my water parameters today and everything is fine. Unfortunately I don't have a QT Tank to put him in and I am treating him with "Quick Cure" from my LFS. You add to the water and it truns it blue for a couple days. I'm still somewhat new to saltwater and that is what the store advised me to do. He's on day 2 of the treatment and is still rubbing himself against the rocks. What else is a good cure for ich, as additive go?

squidd

Not much to "recommend" in the line of "additives" for ich...
Check the sticky down in the Disease and Treatment forum for some good "recommendations" on treating ick with Hypo salinity and/or copper...

pufferman

Since you tank is fish only, you can add chelated copper sulfate (i.e CopperSafe from Mardel) directly to your display tank.

harlequinnut

I know some hoppyist are against using copper for various reasons. I've tried a couple of "reef safe" ick treatments and none of it worked. I also tried hyposalinity, it was good at first but the ick seem to come back after a while( I do have a refractometer). The only long term success I had was using copper. Of course if you have a reef tank or invert in your tank then copper wouldn't be an option for you. JMO

khilgers

Where would you guys recommend ordering some of these products? I looked on this site and they don't seem to carry any of the following you guys listed. My fish is getting better now, but I just want to be prepared in case it happens again.

squidd

"Hypo Salinity" is not really a product , it's more of a "technique" and it's FREE... :thinking: