My plan...good or bad

ozman213

So I have a 75 gallon tank that has been up and running for about 1 year. I have 6 smallish fish.
1-small (1.5") maroon clown
1-small (1") yellow tail damsel
1-small (1")3 stripe damsel
1-small(2") Blue tang
1-3" Lawnmower blennie
1-3" Foxface Rabbitfish
All are healthy and seemingly happy.
I need to move the tank for a period of time to paint the living room and finish the floor. I figure this will give me the opportunity to get a better setup and correct some of my rookie mistakes. The plan is to purchase a smaller 24 gallon setup, cycle it and slowly introduce my fish to this(this will be a very temporary home for them) I know they are not going to be happy here long term, but I'm hoping they'll be ok for a month or 2 while I get everything done and then set back up and recycled. I will then have this 24 gallon setup for a "nano" reef tank so I can have a different kind of setup there. Obviously water changes and filtration in the small setup will need to be meticulous while it's stocked with all these fish...but is it a death sentence for my fish....am I completely off base? I was thinking this is a better idea than risking the large tank by moving it with all the stuff (except water) still in it. Plus it allows me an excuse to purchase another setup. I'm obviously a newbie, so be kind. Note: I have not done anything yet.

saltfan

Just one thing I want to add here. I wouldn't put all those fish back into that small (75g) tank.

ozman213

Really? According to several books I've read, you can have an estimated 1" of fish per 2-2.5 gallons of water. So I'd be looking at 30"ish of fish in my 75 gallon...According to the normal groth maximum adult size that I've seen...I'd be in that range when they are fully grown. Clown won't get much bigger than 5", blennie is about 4"ish tang will be 8-10" rabbitfish will be 6-9" and the damsels wont get much bigger than 2-3" so maybe I'm pushing it...but honestly I'm a little lower than many I've heard of...and none are anywhere near their adult size....and I have no parameter problems as I sit now. I do water changes regularly. So seriously I'm doing something wrong already? What rule of thumb do you use...and where can I read about it?

turningtim

I think you're OK with the 75 now, but I wouldn't put them in a 24. If you have to move the tank anyway why not move and put them back in it at the new location? I mean the 75 is still going to have to be running for that length of time or you're going to have to start over with it.
I just think you may run in to trouble with that small a tank (24) for a month......
It shouldn't be that hard to move in the same house, I wouldn't think.....
JMO
Tim

ozman213

My only concern is that I am under the impression(which may be wrong) that if you remove all the water/sand/rock etc from the tank...to move it...the result is a messed up bio system and that a mini-cycle would occur...I would rather not subject my fish to that ... the other option may be worse however. Cramping their style in the smaller,but properly cycled tank.

turningtim

Get a rubbermaid (big one) or a used 55. Put the fish and critters in it with a Powerhead, some LR and heater. remove the rest LR to buckets with some water. Save all your old water. Don't take out the sand, you can move the tank with the substrate in it. Just have the water level right aboave the sand. Set the tank back up in the new local and put the rock back in. Have some premixed water ready before you do the move (amount of a water change). Slowly fill the tank back up with water and try not to make a sand storm. Either pour or pump the water on the rocks to disprse it and not to distrube the sand to much. Let the tank settle and then put the fish back in. They should be fine.
If you think the water is to murky then wait until the next day. The fish will be fine in the temp tank over night. If you have an HOB filter that does a nice job of removing the murk that will be in the tank from the move.
HTH
Tim

mikeyjer

Like it was mentioned by Tim here, it is ok to move the tank to a different area and put everything back in while your finishing up your room. Then move back once it's done, it's just a pain doing it, but it's better then stuffing all of them into a 24 gallon tank. Your Tang will NOT like that very much!!! Your stock will not fit for a 24 gallon, you'll have more problems to deal with. When you move your tank, it'll probably cloud up for less then a day. Just run carbon in your filter system, it'll clear back up. :happyfish

ozman213

Thanks everyone. This is why I ask before I do things. Just so I'm clear, and because I'm paranoid. If I take out all of the fish, rock and water(except just enough to cover my substrate. Leaving probably 40lbs of substrate(IIRC) and probably 10-20 lbs of water....I can move my tank without fear of the bottom giving out. I hate to sound dumb...it just seems like that's a lot of weight to expect a pane of glass to support.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by ozman213
Thanks everyone. This is why I ask before I do things. Just so I'm clear, and because I'm paranoid. If I take out all of the fish, rock and water(except just enough to cover my substrate. Leaving probably 40lbs of substrate(IIRC) and probably 10-20 lbs of water....I can move my tank without fear of the bottom giving out. I hate to sound dumb...it just seems like that's a lot of weight to expect a pane of glass to support.
We've moved two tanks in a day, a 46 bow front and a 55 gallon tank with substrate and just a tad bit of water in there without any problems. But your dealing with a 75 gallon tank, it will be quite heavy!!! I don't think the bottom would give in on you, but I think your back will give in on you first! If you want to, You can remove all the water into a bucket then remove the substrate into another bucket, then move your tank. Then put back the substrate and your rocks, then put in water with a plate on the bottom so you won't make a sand storm. :happyfish

turningtim

Originally Posted by ozman213
....I can move my tank without fear of the bottom giving out. I hate to sound dumb...it just seems like that's a lot of weight to expect a pane of glass to support.
Sorry for the chuckle but what do you tink supports the sand, rock and water when its set-up?
I do know what you mean though.......
I actually took my tank off the stand and placed it on a pc of 3/4" ply that had 2 2x4 supporting it underneath. The 2x4s were a little longer than the ply to act as handles. Kind of a strecther looking thing. This way the tank won't "rack" and pop a seal. Worked perrty well but, as Mikey pointed out it isn't gonna be light.....
HTH
Tim