My poor new Hippo.. : (

f14peter

Originally Posted by ROYAL GANG
how do you acclimate it?(fish) i heard only to put them ontop of the tank in your bag so it can get used to the temp..is that all?
***)

The point behind acclimating is to get the fish conditioned to the parameters of your water (SG/PH/etc), not just temperature.
If the differences between your QT/DT and the water the fish is in is substantial, then the longer acclimating will take.

psibabi21

My hippo departed that evening...within 24hrs of purchase from my LFS.
I think between the catching procedure (hiding behind the powerhead) and the new tank it was just too much for the little guy...plus the whole time I was acclimating him he was doing "laps" around the bowl...on top of that I believe they had just got a shipment of fish in that day, so the poor guy might have had two moves in ONE DAY! Thats a lot for a little fish...
Anyways I put a new hippo in the same night..seeing as there is a 48hr gauranty on all fishes from my LFS..
The new guy is doing great...he's a little bigger than the other guy and is swimming around like a WILD MAN! :jumping:

bill109

i saw little quarter size hipppo tangs.. i wanted to buy one so bad but you cant have 2 tags only.maybe soon.! good luck with small fish you ned to acclimate long i lost a TINY clown goby within hours AFTER acclimations cus i put him in after and he didnt move from on betwen the galss and PH found him dead the next morning.

big

I have a Hippo that was as small as a quarter too. I also drip for at least two hours into a bucket after floating the bag for 30 minutes ..... Then I pour of gently net him in a one gallon container and float the container for another 30 minutes to reacclimatize for lost temperature while he was in the bucket.. "Knock on Wood" I haven't lost a fish yet doing it this way..... Sorry about your lost of the little guy.
It's at least a 3 hour job but at the cost of some fish................................... :thinking:

molly05

I think floating a bag is wasting your time because you will open the bag and acclimate anyway. Therefore, the temp that you try to get will not the same with the tank anymore. IMO, use a small heater and a drip method for at least 3 hours will be more than good enough. Make sure the temp and pH of the acclimated container and the tank are almost the same before the fish transferred, then your fish will be safe.