My puppy

pwnag3!!

yeah hes a great guy. Very smart too! i taught him how to shake in just one day.. hes pretty lazy though well when he wants to be... but im sure you know that when he wants to play they can be quite a handful. hes already showing signs of being protective which i love.

pwnag3!!

oh yeah... very intelligent too... the guy i got mine from is my friend and we always wrestle and play fight eachother and if his dogs are around dont even attempt it... they will run righ up and growl and snarl.

nemo lover

I have always wanted a doberman they are so awesome. I could get a big dog so I got a min-pin, best doggie yet.

ant

Let me just warn you to start training him to sleep in his own bed. I started mine out with me on the bed as a puppy and when he grew he used to push me off the bed. Trained him to sleep in his own bed at the start but he'd find his way to mine in the middle of the night. LOL!
Very loyal and protective of you and your space. Good luck!
Ant.

gamedawg

You gonna get his ears cropped?
I used to want to get into Dobies, I begged my mother for one when I was younger, but never got one. Then I discovered Pit Bulls,a nd did a TON of research, and now that's what I live for.

1968oldsma

That is a cute puppy, i'm more partial to English Springer Spaniels and Akita's myself, that is one cute puppy. I like all puppys. Are you Crate training i've done that with both my dogs and i highly recomend it. Heres my little 5 month old Springer loki, sorry for the quality it was taken on my camera phone.

pwnag3!!

its actually hard to find a place to get their ears cropped in north texas. If i was going to get it done i would want to get it done right... but im thinking i will leave them the way they are. His papa doesnt have his done and he looks just the same as him now... i think ill follow in that direction.

pwnag3!!

Originally Posted by 1968OldsMa
That is a cute puppy, i'm more partial to English Springer Spaniels and Akita's myself, that is one cute puppy. I like all puppys. Are you Crate training i've done that with both my dogs and i highly recomend it.
well i have my own training method... it seems weird but its working so far.
I just make sure he is always in the same room with me... and when i see him sniffing around or gettting ready to drop something or squirt something i tell him outside and walk him down the stairs. when i leave i keep him in my kitchen with a doggie gate (that he is almost too big for) and he usually does a good job of not making a mess. if he does make a mess it is always pee and thats why i go through a lot of pine sol.
The worst time i have had with him so far was after i gave him his de worming medicine... he pooped alot and happened to do it on the stairs.... well when i called him back up he decided to tromp through it and come running for me.... thankfully hooover has a nice selection of steam cleaners.

1968oldsma

Your so lucky i've been having big problems with loki i've never had a male before and he was just so hard to train, if he pees in the house he goes in the crate for a half and hour, during night time, he goes in the crate, when we punish him he goes in the crate, and he is starting to catch on we let him go out he could be out for like over an hour with our other dog and as soon as he comes in he goes to the bathroom on the floor would drive me nutz, so i went and got the crate and it is working so much better for me, he well behaved and he still has his accidents but there few and far between and he only goes in the crate if we are gone for a long period of time. He sleeps in the crate downstairs, and Kuma our akita sleep upstairs with us.
The only annoy thing we have now is he likes to jump and he is always play fighting with Kuma, i know she gets annoyed with him he always grabs her tail and hangs on for dear life and she will drag him around and not even know he's back there she is so big.

nomad

Crate training isn't just for potty training. It also makes those visits to the vets for surgery or tests less traumatic, because even big dogs are often confined to crate-sized areas before and especially after. Also, if you ever have to fly him anywhere he will have to be crated; he will not travel well if he is trying to tear his way out of the crate and tranquilizing an animal is a sure way to end up with health problems and even death when an animal is flying. If you are staying in a hotel or motel with your dog, anytime all the people leave the room the dog needs to be crated because you never know when a dog will decide it knows just how the room should be redecorated. Any dog can get an injury from slipping, slideing, turning to sharp, another dog, another person, a damaged fence, etc and may need to be kept fairly inactive in order to heal--even keeping a dog in the bathroom will not do this, plus your bathroom will end up a mess and you will come to dread having to go to the bathroom.
I have worked as a vet tech for many years. I have shipped my own dogs overseas and backk to the U.S. I have travelled extensively in the U.S. by air and by car, staying in motels, hotels, camping sites, and camping out in fields due to moves, showing dogs, lure coursing, and breeding dogs.
I have been through all these senerios with various people through the years, that is why I always recommend crate training. You and your dog have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Just give him treats and his dinner in there and an occasional nap and tell him how wonderful he is and he will be prepared for most of the trials and tribulations of life.
Crate size - 1" taller than you expect his shoulders to be when he is full grown
I hope this has been helpful.

mimzy

Puppies :jumping: Puppies :jumping:
All puppies are beautiful :jumping:
All dogs are puppies :jumping:
Nomad - yay, fellow Vet Slave...er...uh.. Vet-Tech!!
(Is it just me or do all Vets loose the part of their brain that doesn't have to do with animals when they graduate?? They can never find ANYTHING!!
)
As for the crate, yes yes, the crate is an excellent tool. It should NOT, however, be used as a punishement.

As Nomad said, it should be a place of refuge - somehwere they are comfortable, the place they can TRUST when you have to put them into stressful situations like going to the vet.
Punishement really doesn't work in our favor with dogs - if they learn anything at all from the experience it is merely not to do the behavior WHILE WE ARE WATCHING.
It's a better idea to ignore the bad behavior and praise the behavior you'd like to see instead... it is also a tremendous help to REPLACE a bad behavior with one you'd like to see.
For instance...if you'd like to get your dog to quit jumping on your guests when they enter the house, take some time to teach your dog to sit, roll over, or fetch something.
Then, any time someone comes over, work with your dog and tell it to sit, roll over, fetch the paper until your guests have safely entered the house. This way, your dog is too busy doing a desired behavior, to do the undesired one.
This works for a lot of things, and eventually the dog will alltogether forget the behavior you replaced.
If you've still got issues with a dog messing in the house - talk to your Vet. They'll want to eliminate any internal problems first, and then they should be able to help you behaviorally. Any vet worth their weight offers behavioral services!! :yes: