My Queen Angel

Hi I had a Queen Angel in my tank for over 2 years. She is doing well. The only problem is over the last year her colors are faded. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to bring her color back? Thanks

emperor11

What are you feeding this angel? Being as the Queen Angel is an Atlantic Angel, it is HEAVILY dependant on sponge, and without that element in its diet, its color will fade, and probably eventually die from a nutritional deficiency. The Queen Angel is almost as dependant on sponge as the Rock Beauty angel...which is saying something. They say the Queen angel in the wild eats 97% sponge and 3%algae/other stuff, while the Rock Beauty eats 99% sponge, and 1%algae/other stuff. I recommend either buying some Angel Formula (has a lot of sponge in it), or you could do what I used to do, and feed angel formula, as well as everything else, and when you saw a dying sponge at the LFS, ask how much it was (usually only a couple bucks, if anything) and take it home as a treat for the angel.

anthropo

i have a queen and diet is usually the case with all angels fading in color like above said. the other reason would be water quality. i feed my queen a frozen mixture of mysis shrimp and angel formula by ocean nutrition which has sponge in it. i also feed ocean nutrition formula 2 flake and nori every day. if you do this i'm sure the color will come back fast.

anthropo

Originally Posted by TheReefManiac
Thanks, but what is Riori? I know what fomula 2 and angel formula is, but Riori is a new one to me.
when you say Riori, do you mean Nori? if you do, nori is the seaweed they sell in petstores for saltwater fish. it's also the same stuff they use to wrap sushi in at restaurants.

hammerhed7

I agree with diet. Larger angels need alot of vegetable protein in their diet, as much as 50%, which can be difficult when they come used to eating shrimp etc, they often prefer those types of food. I feed my koran formula 2 pellets, and Ocean nutrition angel formula, and Algae sheets. I don't have a problem getting him his vegetable protien since he wont touch krill, or mysis, which I find unusual. he will just sit and watch the other fish eat until he gets his pellets.
Hope this helps.......... Good Luck

promisetbg

Feed your algae based foods first, then feed any meaty foods later in the day. I feed my fish this way now and even my most carnivorous fish eats spirulina now. BTW that is another great option that all fish will benefit from~ Ocean nutrition came out with a frozen spirulina formula...I like it better than formula 2. They make an angel formula as well.