: ( My rat Jumbiliah bit his nail off and he is hurt badly .... !!!!!!!!!!

sethw

He wont stop bleeding, and he keeps on picking at it and it makes me feel bad
he like, is crying and i know it hurts him, i mena, his ENTIRE nail was bitten off or something (IDK how or what exactly happened) and i cannto do much about it, i mean, i put peroxide on it and he has a little bandage on it, but ....idk.... :notsure:

sepulatian

Originally Posted by sethw
He wont stop bleeding, and he keeps on picking at it and it makes me feel bad
he like, is crying and i know it hurts him, i mena, his ENTIRE nail was bitten off or something (IDK how or what exactly happened) and i cannto do much about it, i mean, i put peroxide on it and he has a little bandage on it, but ....idk.... :notsure:

He should be alright, can you take him to a vet? If not, do you have any neosporin to put on there to kill off bacteria so he doesn't get an infection?

sethw

yes, i didnt think of that....i cannot take him to the vet, my parents think that paying 20 bucks for a rat to get better is a waste when i only paid $4 for the thing, but i dont think that way about it : (

sepulatian

yes, i didnt think of that....i cannot take him to the vet, my parents think that paying 20 bucks for a rat to get better is a waste when i only paid $4 for the thing, but i dont think that way about it : (
I hear ya seth, that was why I was a little hesitant to mention the vet. Try and do the best that you can for him. Keep the wound as clean as possible and put a topical ointment (neosporin or bactine works as well but doesn't help it heal, just sooths the pain and kills bacteria) on it to keep the germs out. Let me know how he does!

birdmom

bleeding can be stopped by blotting and applying cautery powder (Quick Stop) with gentle pressure for 30 seconds to a minute. If Quick Stop is not available, flour or corn starch can be used.
Also try to wrap his leg to his body as secure as possible so that he is unable to chew at the wound. Once that is done you might try making a small hole in the toe end of a sock. His head should go through the hole with his body enclosed within the sock. This will help to restrict him from chewing & causing further damage.
Good Luck! I hope he is OK!
Birdmom

sepulatian

Originally Posted by birdmom
bleeding can be stopped by blotting and applying cautery powder (Quick Stop) with gentle pressure for 30 seconds to a minute. If Quick Stop is not available, flour or corn starch can be used.
Also try to wrap his leg to his body as secure as possible so that he is unable to chew at the wound. Once that is done you might try making a small hole in the toe end of a sock. His head should go through the hole with his body enclosed within the sock. This will help to restrict him from chewing & causing further damage.
Birdmom
Mom knows how to make it better!!!!
Very good suggestions. I was trying to think of something to stop him from chewing on his toe (like one of those cone dog colars) but could not think of anything. The sock might be anoying to him, but it might help him stay away from his foot. If nothing else it would annoy him enough so he chews on the sock instead of his toe giving it some time to heal. Rats can chew through cloth rather quickly though, but it might buy you some time.

sethw

:( i did the flour thing, and it seems to be working, but he ate throught he gauze, and he absolutely WONT go in a sock....great ideas, but my rats dont know that im trying to help, so he is uncooperative...lol

sepulatian

:( i did the flour thing, and it seems to be working, but he ate throught he gauze, and he absolutely WONT go in a sock....great ideas, but my rats dont know that im trying to help, so he is uncooperative...lol
Yes. Even though these are domesticated rats, their natural instincts will always prevail. He doesn't understand that you are trying to help, just that you are stressing him out even more by tieing his foot up. I am trying to think of something that he won't be able to chew through, like a hard plastic or something. You definately have to stop him from chewing on that foot though. Any idea why he started chewing on it to cause the injury?

sethw

Because there are two MALE rats, they fight for dominance, i mean, play fighting always, but they fight none the less, and sometimes they bite each other, and give each other "monir" injuries. IDK, that may be what caused this, i noticed what looked like a little peice of rat "eye booger" on his foot, but today ralized it was dried blodd, so this happened a couple days ago...... but he probably tasted blood, and bit through tthe dried blod that was keepign the blood indside. My stupid dog LOVES blood, it is soo weird. but yeah, that is all i can gather

birdmom

Because there are two MALE rats, they fight for dominance, i mean, play fighting always, but they fight none the less, and sometimes they bite each other, and give each other "monir" injuries. IDK, that may be what caused this, i noticed what looked like a little peice of rat "eye booger" on his foot, but today ralized it was dried blodd, so this happened a couple days ago...... but he probably tasted blood, and bit through tthe dried blod that was keepign the blood indside. My stupid dog LOVES blood, it is soo weird. but yeah, that is all i can gather
So now we know the cause of the injury.... 2 MALE rats should never be housed together...
Also the smell of blood tends to make rodents more aggressive..
Your pet is going to fight being restrained very aggressively... no way around that. If you want to save it you must be diligent in keeping it safe. Rodents are nocturnal, do not wrap it & put it in the dark. They also have the natural instinct to chew, chew, chew.... Just keep wrapping him & try to give a piece of wood as a distraction..
I would like to add that even a little bleeding looks as if it is life threatening.. Rodents are hardier than you think... Just make sure that he has plenty of Food & Water. Fluids help to replace lost blood volume...
Just provide as much supportive care as possible & please separate the two if possible...
Birdmom

d0 thy d3w

Originally Posted by birdmom
Birdmom
i could be wrong..but isnt quick stop the stuff u use when clipping bird claws..weird how some people think a bird can bleed to death through its toe..but anyways..sorry to hijack ur thread seth...but i agree with bird mom..quick stop should do the trick..and id also reccomend daily baths..(if ur rat can swim) when my iguana broke his tail off, we took it to a vet and he bandaged it..gave us sum meds..and told us to bathe it 3 times a day for like 15 minutes at a time..good luck

geridoc

Birds can bleed out through a broken nail since they have arteries that go into the nail. If you cut it too short, you open an arterial bleed, which can be fatal. You can use Quick Stop or just a styptic pencil, the same stuff you use on a shaving cut. I have worked with rats and mice my entire career, and I have found that it is not easy to give them an infection, so if you get the bleeding under control (certainly by separating Jumbilah from the other male rat), he should be fine.

ryanhayes9

Thsis Jumbi, his nail (or lack there of) clotted, and is not bleeding any more. They are getting along, and he is not pickign at it. He knows.....lol

ophiura

Ryan, you were asked not to allow others to use your account. Please do not continue or I am afraid your own account will be suspended. :(

hot883

Originally Posted by ophiura
Ryan, you were asked not to allow others to use your account. Please do not continue or I am afraid your own account will be suspended. :(
Yes you Dan!

ryanhayes9

Ophiura, this is ME on here...Seth and i live close to each other and he told me to post this for him. I do not give my aprrwod and info out to ANYONE especially Seth... He is over here at my house to stay the night and that is how he posted that thread earlier. But i am on it, and that was all he was allowed to post, dont worry, he is nto to use my account any longer. Thank you

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You best find another home for your least "pet" rat, or separate them. You can bet this will continue until the rat is killed.
Get some neosporin from the drug store, and you can get some easy to remove bandage tape for tail to prevent self-biting.