my reef (then & now)

grubsnaek

just wondering i have heard from some people that black sand does not turn live. something about the coloring of it. is this true. black sand would look sick and does in your tank, however i never went that way for the fact of hearing several times. the sand does not become live..........
but at the same time that doesnt matter if you have a fuge somewhere with regular sand though.

steve24

Originally Posted by grubsnaek
just wondering i have heard from some people that black sand does not turn live. something about the coloring of it. is this true. black sand would look sick and does in your tank, however i never went that way for the fact of hearing several times. the sand does not become live..........
but at the same time that doesnt matter if you have a fuge somewhere with regular sand though.
base rock over time becomes live rock...
black sand does as well. my sand has all the little bugs, worms, and critters
as someones white sand ...

maelv

Originally Posted by grubsnaek
Grubsnaek, I have never heard of it not becoming live. All I have heard is that it does not have the buffering capabilities of your normal sugar grained aragonite....I also am using black sand in my new little set up...