my resume sucks

alix2.0

i had to type it out for english class.
i wouldnt even hire me to work at my own lemonade stand. and im trying to get a job.

socal57che

Seriously, though, be confident that you are capable of completing the tasks related to the position. Not overconfident and conceited, but make the prospective employer aware that you are capable of getting the job done in a timely manner and without having to be supervised constantly.

alix2.0

i was really holding out for acme. i have a friend trying to get me a job at taco bell, and my mom knows some people who own a local costume shop. ive filled out about 100 applications since the beginning of summer. not a single phone call. i call each place back and nothing. pfft.

scsinet

Wow... I'm surprised you even need a resume to get a job at Taco Bell????
I'm not trying to sound disrespectful... I just remember when I was a teenager it was pretty simple to find something...
I guess things are different now... I don't talk about my age here but I don't think it's been that long since I was a teenager...

When I was in college I worked at Target. It was a pretty decent job. No free tacos, but for a "in school job," I have no regrets. It seemed like we were always hiring. You may want to check them out...

renogaw

you're 16... no one (well besides your teacher) expects you to even have a resume.
i wouldn't work fast food... that's a horrid resume job.
go get a job in some type of store. i'm not sure if your state allows you to run a register at 16, but that's the best way that you'll get accolades from an employer. being fast at the register, picking up and keeping departmetns clean, getting along well with customers, etc.

alix2.0

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/2951809
Wow... I'm surprised you even need a resume to get a job at Taco Bell????
I'm not trying to sound disrespectful... I just remember when I was a teenager it was pretty simple to find something...
I guess things are different now... I don't talk about my age here but I don't think it's been that
long since I was a teenager...

When I was in college I worked at Target. It was a pretty decent job. No free tacos, but for a "in school job," I have no regrets. It seemed like we were always hiring. You may want to check them out...
haha, applied at target ages ago.
Originally Posted by renogaw

http:///forum/post/2951810
you're 16... no one (well besides your teacher) expects you to even have a resume.
i wouldn't work fast food... that's a horrid resume job.
go get a job in some type of store. i'm not sure if your state allows you to run a register at 16, but that's the best way that you'll get accolades from an employer. being fast at the register, picking up and keeping departmetns clean, getting along well with customers, etc.
the resume is just for english class. yes i can run a register. if someone would let me. lol.

jshepherd

You can come over and take care of my tanks

Seriously though my Mother worked at Acme for around 20 yrs and my sister works there now. I can ask her if they are hiring but I assume you have checked.

alix2.0

yeah, my uncle has worked there for more than 50 years... i thought that might work to my advantage. nopers. i called up there the other day and they told me that they were laying people off.

salty blues

Originally Posted by alix2.0
http:///forum/post/2951742
i had to type it out for english class.
i wouldnt even hire me to work at my own lemonade stand. and im trying to get a job.

Do some volunteer work. You'll be amazed how much your clout rises when you can show your willing to work for a cause bigger/other than yourself.

snakeblitz33

Yeah, you don't necessarily have to work jobs to be qualified for a position...
IF you take AP classes, that's something to put on there. If you are a member of any clubs at school, that's something too. Did you ever get any awards or certifications or anything?
Do some volunteer work. I worked Meals On Wheels and Red Cross for a while and put it on my resume...
But, right now - I put in my resume to just about everyone that I can think of, and I only got back 5 calls so far. ugh! stupid economy.

alix2.0

Originally Posted by salty blues
http:///forum/post/2951845
Do some volunteer work. You'll be amazed how much your clout rises when you can show your willing to work for a cause bigger/other than yourself.
yeah, i think im gonna volunteer at childrens hospital if i dont end up getting a job in the near future. the only volunteer work i have is at the local library and being CPR certified... which i probably shouldnt put cause even though its true and looks good, i dont know CPR. i didnt pay attention when i took that class. lol.

t316

Originally Posted by salty blues
http:///forum/post/2951845
+100...

As far as paying jobs, right now you are competing with a whole lot of people who have been laid off and are desperate. Unless you seriously need the money to help support your family, now is a prime opportunity to get a volunteer job. Salvation Army, shelter, etc.... You have no idea how great this will look on your resume in the future, the fact that you volunteered in the worst economic time of recent history. Just my .02

socal57che

Ask how long they keep their applications. Apply at EVERY interval. Repetition of seeing your name gives you an advantage while letting them know you are seriuos about the position.

tank a holic

thats the bad thing about experience, if you don't have it you cant get it
don't worry though, its not the resume that gets you the job, its the interview, if you can get that far just be confident and convince them they need you, I know I make it sound easy but trust me, I've never interviewed and not been offered the job