my resume sucks

stdreb27

Originally Posted by alix2.0
http:///forum/post/2951742
i had to type it out for english class.
i wouldnt even hire me to work at my own lemonade stand. and im trying to get a job.

how old are you? Yeah, don't worry about it. You've gotta start somewhere, and that usually is the bottom...

reefereric

Mmm, isn't Macy's laying off 8% of their work force?

Have a good cover letter too. A lot of times, if the cover letter isn't clean, coherent, and concise, they won't bother looking at the thing at all.
I know it's a "huh?" comment to make, because it probably doesn't exist anymore, but apply where others do not. Look at something like local delis, something with an actual Helf Wanted sign. And then just go in and talk to the manager. It's been said, but make them feel like they'd miss out by not hiring you.

aquaknight

You school does have DECA or some type of Business program? The only reason I am where I am, is because of my high school business program. They were able to get a number of internship positions (paying), where we would be interviewed for the job. They were for a number of large corporations, American Express, Citi Group, and I got my first at A.G. Edwards (formerly). Granted you're going to have to able to sell yourself more then your peers but... Either way, now that I've worked for two companies that generate over 4 billion annual reveune, people definitely call back

socal57che

In 2001 I was working 2 jobs. For my third, I went through the yellow pages and started calling businesses. I landed a job at a rehab for depenent teens. I would have never applied for that, but they were the first employer that said they had an opening. I researched the job and went for an interview. The interview questions had nothing to do with my work experience, although these were the questions asked. The point of the interview was to determine my personality and my ability to deal with the lives of these special kids. They weren't as interested in my answers as they were the way I answered. Make any sense? I was confident, kind and thought about my answers before opening my mouth. Personality makes up the largest portion of my wife's interviews as well. (she does a LOT of hiring) She looks at how the person will fit into their team. People can be trained to perform a function. Attitude is hard to change. Choose (hire) the right attitude and teach the employee to do the job.

stdreb27

If you really are looking for a job, you need to start networking. Especially for your first one. You never know until you ask...