My ricordia won't split!!

tiffster

HI! One of my ricordeas has had two mouths since October and it still hasn't split. Does any one have any ideas on how to induce splitting? Water quality is okay and it gets plenty of light. I don't want to cut it in half, so any other ideas?
Tiff

treble

Well I have this brown ricordia that i've had for 10+ months. It didn't split untill I put it under my halide, before that it was flourescents and low watt PC's. Anywho, its all in genes, you could have the strongest lights on earth and one ricordia might not split untill it reaches a certain size or age. :) Patience

flamingkingofhe

i think to many times in this hobby we want results and we want them now but it is best to exercise patience in this hobby and when you are patient you usually get rewarded for it be patient you wont regret it :D

db

I'm not certain how this will affect ricordea, but I have had great results dosing iodide to my tank. My mushrooms reproduce like crazy every since I've been doing this.

nm reef

The notion of patience in this hobby is vital in my opinion. In time a healthy properly provided for ricordia will split....some sooner than others. Bottom line is they do have a histroy of being hardy and they definitely have a history of reproduction. I would do nothing more than continue to provide ideal conditions and exercise patience.
As for addition of iodine...unless there is a accurate reliable test available to check and monitor the levels of iodine I would not suppliment it on a regular basis. Elevated levels of iodine can cause more problems than benefits. Myself I do not suppliment iodine and personally I believe a 5%-10% water change on a regular basis will maintain adaquate iodine levels.

tiffster

Thanks guys, I swear it is sitting there laughing at me, it shows absolutely no signs of splitting any time soon. Oh, well I will wait....