My RO/DI water stinks. Help

L

lbaskball

I recently purchsed a new RO/DI unit made by Kent Marine and for some reason, the water smells bad. It smells moldy or like rubber/dead rat type of smell. Its not too strong, but strong enough to get a whisp of it. Does anyone why? Should I change to a new membrane?

92protruck

you shouldn't have any odor in a new unit but you may want to check the output water with a tds meter. When the DI resin starts to unload you will get a strong pungent rotten egg like smell. If the unit is causing the smell it is more likely the DI rather than the membrane. Also check the container the water is in. Some plastic containers smell when you put DI water in them

scsinet

How much water have you put through it? Run at least a couple dozen gallons through it before you use any water, it rinses the membrane out.
If you haven't done this, try it, the smell will probably go away.

L

lbaskball

Originally Posted by 92ProTruck
you shouldn't have any odor in a new unit but you may want to check the output water with a tds meter. When the DI resin starts to unload you will get a strong pungent rotten egg like smell. If the unit is causing the smell it is more likely the DI rather than the membrane. Also check the container the water is in. Some plastic containers smell when you put DI water in them
Yeah I tried to directly smell the water, it doesnt seem like it smells but once I put it in the plastic container, after a week of it being there, it smell like rotten eggs.

92protruck

what kind of container? many use the brute rubbermaid containers without any problem. a food safe container is even better.