MY RUDE LFS EXPERIENCE AND MY NEW "DREADED" ECLIPSE 12 SYSTEM

i am here

About 2 months ago I came across a semi LFS(65 miles away that shall remain nameless but who does have a website and also sells on a major auction site) who had the newest 12g tank in stock and was willing to sell it to me for $119( the cheapest I found it online but never in stock online). When I got it home and took it out of the box, I found that it was one that had to be rewired due to the lighting issues at the time. The adaptor was loosely moving around inside the tank and the clear lighting cover was all scratched up and one of the hood arms was broken off. Now regardless of how big or small these issues might seem to others, I generally like to get something that is “new” when I am shelling out money. I called the salesman I bought it from to see if I could return it and he said no problem but they had no more in stock and they were back ordered like everyone else. When I returned it the salesman was not there but the owner was and he seemed aggitated? that I was returning it. I had also purchased a stand with this aquarium but said I would keep it for the time being with the hopes that a backordered one would come in somewhere online, etc. After 3 more expected delivery dates being rolled back from another company I was going to purchase one from, I threw in the towel and decided to go another tank route. So I called the semi LFS and asked if I could returned the stand I never used. The owner answered acted aggitated again, saying over and over again that my tank was the only one returned of the one’s he sold and then agreed that I could return the stand(I even told him he could just give me store credit and not have to worry about a refund). When I returned the stand, the owner was very rude again saying that my aquarium was the only one returned with issues. While they were getting that squared away I began gathering items I would purchase as part of the credit I was expecting for the stand return. Well to bring this drama to a quick end, they gave me a check for the amount of the return, took the items I was going to purchase from them out of my hands, took me to the door asked me to leave and never come back!! Needless to say I was a tad perplexed, having never been rude to them and only returning the items after I was told by them that I could.
Well, I ended up getting for the price of the other tank, the Dreaded Eclipse 12 and a stand. Yes I know it is acrylic and due to its make up, greatly limits what I can do, but that is ok. These tank limitations will help me from getting the urge of over spending, which I probably would have done with another tank with better lighting. Here it is about 12 hours after adding the live rock and sand. Notice the “new tank” film across the inside of the tank and the cheesy background that I, the newbie, added for my young uns. What is your opinion on the rock layout, I tried to stack it with as many pass throughs as possible.
Here is what I have/hope to be getting:
Eclipse 12 System, stock everything
20 lbs Arag Alive Bahama Oolite Sand(2 inch bed)
16lbs Fully Cured Nano Live Rock
10lbs Marshall Island Tonga, 6lbs Kaelini
Nutri Sea Seawater
Cleaning Crew To Be: ( a bit big because I got free shipping for having over $60, it came to $60.25 and
saved $30 on shipping)
5 dwarf blue leg hermits
5 Red scarlet hermits
4 orange banded hermits
10 small astrea snails
5 nassarius snails
2 small queen conchs
1 small coral banded shrimp
1 emerald crab
various empty shells and lots of dried seaweed to supplement any lack of algae
Expected Fish/etc.:
1 Aqua cultured False Perk Clownfish
1 Long nose hawkfish
Featherdusters and any other no light low/light things that might grow.
Any opinions on the rock layout, or suggesting on any lowlight things that could go in this tank would be greatly welcomed(JUST DON’T ASK ME TO LEAVE AND TEL ME TAKE MY BUSINESS ELSEWHERE, LOL)
Thanks ahead of time for any and all thoughts/opinions.

sweetdawn

is ok i cant post pictures either. i have before but it ususally takes me hours to figure out then i forget how i did it cause it was 2am and my brain quit working

rogueangel

LOL finally a plus side for the Eclipse 12 gal. I have one too and I know everyone's rags on them. But it is effective to help keep the coral bug from biting. I walked into the new LFS here and was in love w/ the corals. Tried to figure out how I'd afford them. Thankfully reality kicked in and I was like hmmm I might need to research what they need first. I get home and realized I couldn't have them. Thankfully I now have money still for my rent. lol

eliteaqua

Who ever told you the tanks where back ordered . I own a pet store and have had no problem getting these tanks and stands for the last 2 months.In Jan . there was a big trade show where they sold alot of tanks and Jan was when they where back ordered. I have a lot of both sizes There is no problem getting them know. email me if you have any questions. I hope the eclipse is the right tank for you!

sharkbait9

Oh no man when ever you or any one comes accros a bad lfs get on the boards and nuke the hell out of them on here and then print out a copy of all the post and bring it to the lfs and let see how bad they are known on the internet. It can work in your favor and helps us that know what place to stay away from and what places to support. nuke away.

edward_tun

Not that i don't believe him, But we are listening a 1 side story. Who know what exactly happen ? Plus this site is suppose to help each they out in hobby, using forum to attack a LFS just not right.
:scared:

i am here

I wasn't writing it to attack any LFS, It was such a weird experience I had to share it with others in the hobby and it also allowed me to lead into my current tank situation. If I really wanted to attack them I would have included all the specifics about them. Just like the professionalism you expect in customer service from a business, I was trying to use some tact and be professional as I tried to explain this experience. Yes you hear only one side of the story but that is exactly what happened. I have quite a bit happening in my life to occupy my time and I don't spend my days trying to figure out ways to complain about it , and this was just one of those experiences that can happen to anyone. When you are purchasing goods or services as a consumer you have certain expectations put before you by those individuals vying for your business(money). Those who do it right are successful from a customer service standpoint, those who don't can drastically affect their business. Consumers are more apt to share their bad business experiences than their good business experiences and when people are spending their hard earned money they are going to be going with those that have developed the good customer service.

hot883

Originally Posted by edward_tun
Not that i don't believe him, But we are listening a 1 side story. Who know what exactly happen ? Plus this site is suppose to help each they out in hobby, using forum to attack a LFS just not right.
:scared:
I could see where this statement would be warranted if he had mentioned the name. He was just sharing the experience that he had; one sided story or not. I have no reason not to believe him.

drewsta

As a Manager of a retail store, your customer base drives your business and in a small store like a pet shop, you are going to have a pretty small customer base generally. That is just bad ownership!! I wouldn't shop there again.