My salinity is too low what is the best way to increase?

stevemann

I bought a new hydrometer today as I have the floating kind and heard recently that they are unreliable. To my surprise I got a reading of about 1.016! What is the best way to get it up in the normal range without harming the inhabitants? It is a 75 gallon tank with about 85lbs of live rock.I have a blue damsel, maroon clown, Royal gramma, Lawnmower Benny, Cleaner Shrimp, Fire Shrimp and orange linckia starfish.
Thanks,
Steve

limitedslip

water changes w/ increased salinity would be your best bet. im suprised they are still alive with that low of a salinity.

uberlink

Most people will advise that the best way to gradually raise salinity is simply to do top-offs with saltwater for a while. This will assure that your salinity increases very gradually with normal evaporation. Once you reach the desired level, just revert to topping off with fresh water.

hemicross

i agree with that, you should have your saltwater mixed 24 hours in advance and just do top offs with that, if your at 1.016 i would really just do top offs with saltwater at a level of 1.022-1.024 to not stress your livestock, i think with a salinity that low it would hurt your fish if you did big water changes

stevemann

That is kind of what I hoped to hear as I have started to do that. How long do you think it will take before I notice an increase in my readings?

hemicross

it all depends on how fast your water is evap, you can do top off's with a higher salinity level to speed up the process but you have to add it very very very and i cant stress enough very slowly, about as slow as 2 drops per second or of a salinity level of 1.030. be sure to drip right over a high flow of water, point a powerhead to disturb the surface of the water and drip about an inch infront of the start of the flow. you could go faster by pouring in about 1/2 cup of the water every ten minutes the same way but you must pour it very very slowly, i do not recommend this because there is a chance you could shock your livestock, so go with the drip method and try to not do a high salinity level introduction to much, and be sure you have had this saltwater mixed 24 hours in advance in a container that you could have a powerhead in or something to circulate the water.

L

lsu

I'd double check with a refractometer, hydrometers can be inaccurate. It seems like your inverts would have died at that salinity.

angelman

Plenty of studies done with fish maintained as low as 1.012 with no ill affects.
Not ideal but something I have done many times when dealing with flukes outbreaks on customer's tanks.
Have maintained it that way for a month or two with no problems/losses (fish only systems - have never tried with inverts).
I agree with all.
Best way is to gradually add with top offs.
You can also do partial water changes.
If you calculate the amount of gallons taken out at 1.016, you can do the math to figure out how high your salinity has to be on the replacement gallons to bring you to the level you want.
I know many choose levels of 1.020-1.021 but I have always maintained mine at approximately 1.019-1.020. Just the way it works out with my scoop for my salt.

turningtim

I would double check the reading with a refractometer. I don't think your inverts would like it very much having the SG that low.

mcbdz

Originally Posted by TurningTim
I would double check the reading with a refractometer. I don't think your inverts would like it very much having the SG that low.
Agreed. Please double check before attempting to raise sg. If you don't have a hydremeter please find a lfs that does and get it checked.

stevemann

Originally Posted by mcbdz
Agreed. Please double check before attempting to raise sg. If you don't have a hydremeter please find a lfs that does and get it checked.

I checked it again tonight and it is at 1.019. I read on the back of the (hydrometer)package that I should fill it with saltwater for 24 hours before taking a reading. I ad not done that last night when I took that initial reading.

turningtim

I have heard Hydro's being off by .005 right out of the package. Seriously get your hands on a refractometer. Much more dependable, consistent and accurate. You can get one on-line for like $40-50 bucks.

snaredrum

Originally Posted by LSU
I'd double check with a refractometer, hydrometers can be inaccurate. It seems like your inverts would have died at that salinity.
Thats what I'm thinking too.