my salinity level was 1.032 wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

philgmiami

i didnt know my corilife hydrometer was broken :thinking: ...no wonder why my frogspawn went in for days :thinking: .. i bought the instant ocean hydrometer which gives better readings.. my broken ONE was off by 8 pionts :scared: ..that just goes to show you that you should have your salinity ckecked by the lfs once in awhile..YOUR HYDROMETER MIGHT BE READING WRONG!!!!

lion_crazz

I really suggest you ditch the hydrometer and get a refractometer. They often accuracy like nothing else can. Plus, they are not that expensive. The one this site sells is fantastic and it is only $50.

mikeyjer

I don't test my salinity that often. I only test the newly mixed water that's about it....I started with 1.025 in my aggressive tank and 6 months later I tested the salinity, it's still at 1.025 I guess I'm just soooo used to the same routine nothing changes.... :happyfish

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by sepulatian
no evaporation? gotta check every day!JUST MY .02 good luck
Of course there's evaporation!!! IF you top off your water with freshwater up to the same line, you'll stay on the same level. Unless you have saltcreep going on....But I keep mine to the minimal so everything pretty much stays on the same level. So I don't check on it daily, there's no need. After you get to do the samething over and over all the time, you'll get the hang of it without having to check it daily. Many hobbiest would tell you the samething! :happyfish

mr.p

Since you guys are on the topic of salinity, i've noticed mine as gone up lately, i've made a few dumb mistakes I don't want to mention on here (lol). Anyways I need to lower it down but how quickly can I lower it down? would doing a 10 gallon change this week be too much? my tank is 65 gallons btw....thanks

puffer32

Originally Posted by Mikeyjer
Of course there's evaporation!!! IF you top off your water with freshwater up to the same line, you'll stay on the same level. Unless you have saltcreep going on....But I keep mine to the minimal so everything pretty much stays on the same level. So I don't check on it daily, there's no need. After you get to do the samething over and over all the time, you'll get the hang of it without having to check it daily. Many hobbiest would tell you the samething! :happyfish
I add 1 gal daily to my tank. if i don't, my sump starts blowing air, you can almost set your clock by it, so to avoid it, I put that gal in. I also have a line I could go by if I am not sure if hubby added it or not.

ophiura

Originally Posted by Mr.P
Since you guys are on the topic of salinity, i've noticed mine as gone up lately, i've made a few dumb mistakes I don't want to mention on here (lol). Anyways I need to lower it down but how quickly can I lower it down? would doing a 10 gallon change this week be too much? my tank is 65 gallons btw....thanks

How high is it?

philgmiami

Originally Posted by chipmaker
1.032 sg..........its amazing your live rock was able to stay sunk ;-)
STAY STUNK? :notsure: